Geelani asks Omar to deliver on election promisesDecember 29th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 29 (IANS) Separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, who had opposed the Jammu and Kashmir elections, Sunday asked National Conference chief ministerial candidate Omar Abdullah to deliver on poll promises if he gets the top job of the state.The chairman of his faction of the Hurriyat Conference, Geelani, told a news channel that elected representatives to the state assembly had “sought votes for good governance and resolving peoples’ daily problems”.
Asked if as a veteran politician he had any advice for the young Abdullah, Geelani laughed saying: “No advices. He, if it happens, will be the youngest chief minister in the history of the state.”
“The people and we are expecting him to work for good governance and solving daily problems,” Geelani told CNN IBN.
The National Conference emerged as the single largest party in the state legislative assembly after polls results were declared Sunday. Abdullah was Monday recommended as the party’s chief minister candidate.
Geelani and other separatist leaders had asked the people to stay away from the elections. But 63 percent of the electorate turned out to vote in the state defying the separatists’ boycott call.
- Kashmir local polls see people in participative mood - Apr 18, 2011
- Separatist campaign against panchayat polls worries Kashmir government - Apr 07, 2011
- Peace in Kashmir is fake, says Geelani - Apr 27, 2012
- Reap the democratic dividend in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- Mirwaiz asks Kashmiris to boycott polls - Apr 23, 2009
- Massive turnout in Jammu and Kashmir local polls (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Kashmiris defy boycott calls to cast their votes - Apr 30, 2009
- Kashmir panchayat polls to be held by April - Jan 17, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls begin Wednesday - Apr 13, 2011
- Separatists force shutdown in Kashmir - May 12, 2009
- Lashkar warns of suicide attacks during polls - Apr 18, 2009
- National Conference to facilitate talks between Central Govt., separatists - May 07, 2009
- Geelani making false claims of detention to create unrest in Valley: Omar Abdullah - Feb 23, 2011
- Why Omar should focus on progress, not Congress (Kashmir Newsletter) - Jun 14, 2011
- Kashmir shuts down in poll protest, troops out on patrol - May 06, 2009