Gaza invasion could spark extremism in Britain: MuslimsJanuary 8th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 8 (IANS) Amid a reported surge in anti-Jewish attacks in Europe, a group of leading moderate Muslims Thursday warned Prime Minister Gordon Brown that anger over Israel’s invasion of Gaza could spill over to the streets of Britain.“…The anger within UK Muslim communities has reached acute levels of intensity,” said a letter to Brown from 14 British Muslims who are among the government’s leading counter-extremism advisers.
“The Israeli government’s use of disproportionate force… has revived extremist groups and empowered their message of violence and perennial conflict. For Muslims in the UK and abroad, we run the risk of potentially creating a loss of faith in the political process,” they say.
Among the signatories are Usama Hasan, imam of Al-Tawhid mosque, London, Dilwar Hussain, head of the policy research centre at the Islamic Foundation, Zareen Roohi Ahmed from the British Muslim Forum and Ed Husain, co-director of the anti-extremism thinktank the Quilliam Foundation.
The letter urges the British government to distance itself from the outgoing Bush administration in the US and to “ensure the incoming Obama administration forges a more enlightened direction.”
The intervention follows a “testy” meeting Tuesday between junior foreign minister Bill Rammell and 30 representatives of Muslim organisations in Britain, the Guardian reported.
The complaints come amid a reported surge in attacks on synagogues and other Jewish targets across Europe, including in Britain, Belgium, France and Germany.
- Gaza conflict could spark violent Islamic backlash in Britain - Jan 09, 2009
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- British Muslims boycott medical lectures on evolution - Nov 28, 2011
- Islamic students at top UK university ' preaching hard-line extremism' - Oct 18, 2010
- Scottish Islamic Foundation accused of sharing 'ideology of terrorists' - Aug 09, 2010
- 'London Taliban' sharia law to target women and homosexuals - Apr 18, 2011
- UK Islamic hate preacher Choudary to be given Channel 4 slot - Nov 28, 2010
- Ad campaign to bust "Muslims are terrorists" myth launched in London - Jun 07, 2010
- UK Govt. doles out a million pounds to anti-extremist think tank - Jan 20, 2009
- French Muslims feeling targeted over 26/11 Mumbai-style attack threat in Europe - Oct 09, 2010
- Only 27 remain, but Jews love Kolkata (Feature) - May 27, 2012
- Britain advised Libya on Lockerbie bomber's release: WikiLeaks - Feb 01, 2011
- Eight held in Turkey for Al Qaeda ties - Jun 16, 2012
- Jewish targets attacked in Europe after Gaza invasion - Jan 06, 2009
- British let al-Qaida kingpin Zarqawi go free, say Iraq war logs - Oct 24, 2010