Gaza at risk of disease outbreaks: WHO chiefJanuary 20th, 2009 - 6:38 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Jan 20 (Xinhua) After the end of fighting between Israeli forces and Hamas militants, the Gaza Strip now faces a high risk of disease outbreaks, the chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. “Right now, we very sadly see ideal conditions for outbreaks of disease,” said WHO Director-General Margaret Chan.
Addressing a session of the WHO Executive Board, Chan said the 22-day conflict in Gaza had caused a humanitarian crisis there.
“As public health professionals, we need to be deeply concerned about the health of Gaza’s civilian population,” she said.
According to the WHO chief, the 1.5 million people of Gaza are served by a mere 2,000 hospital beds. And these facilities have been completely overwhelmed by the emergency needs of the wounded.
Drinking water is scarce, sewage lines have been broken, and garbage is piling up. Besides, immunization, along with most routine health services, has been interrupted for more than three weeks.
“An outbreak under such conditions would be another health crisis that should not happen,” she warned.
She said WHO would step up its assistance to the Palestinians as soon as access and security clearances are granted.
She also urged “frequent” opening of border crossings to allow delivery of emergency medical supplies in Gaza.
- WHO urges sufficient health budgets despite economic plight - Oct 20, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- WHO declares swine flu pandemic over - Aug 11, 2010
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli airstrike kills 2 Hamas officers in southern Gaza Strip - Sep 20, 2012
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- WHO Declares Swine Flu Pandemic Officially Over - Aug 11, 2010
- Non-communicable diseases leading cause of deaths: UN - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012