Gayle resolves issue with WICB but uncertainty remainsApril 6th, 2012 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), April 6 (IANS/CMC) The way has been paved for opener Chris Gayle’s selection to the West Indies team but uncertainty over his actual return and grave concerns about his role in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the West Indies Cricket Board, continue to hover ominously over the deal reached.
Chairman of CARICOM’s prime ministerial sub-committee on cricket, Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer announced Wednesday evening that the year-long impasse between the embattled Jamaican and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) had been resolved.
His announcement follows weeks of negotiations which started in St. Vincent last month between the concerned parties and which were facilitated by St. Vincent prime minister Ralph Gonsalves.
Gayle, however, in a statement dated March 23, said while he had signed the agreement, he remained ineligible for West Indies duty for the duration of the Indian Premier League which winds up May 27.
The former Windies captain currently has a legal case against the WICB which the Board said it wanted discontinued.
- Windies Board pleased with Gayle's commitment - May 11, 2012
- Gayle doesn't rule out playing in third Test - May 30, 2012
- Chris Gayle recalled after high-level meeting - Jun 05, 2012
- Gibson staying out of Gayle-WICB fracas - May 03, 2012
- Gayle brings quality to the side, says chief selector - Jun 06, 2012
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- Players association welcomes Caricom's initiative on Gayle - Jul 05, 2011
- West Indies Board insists Gayle must withdraw comments - Oct 20, 2011
- Caricom to intervene in Gayle-WICB dispute - Jul 04, 2011
- Windies Cricket chief eyes success against Australia - Apr 02, 2012
- Gayle signs agreement with WICB, but with the IPL rider - Mar 26, 2012
- Gayle meets West Indies Cricket chief to thrash out issues - Aug 24, 2011
- Richards lambasts WICB for its handling of Gayle issue - Dec 16, 2011
- Governments' role crucial in Windies cricket, asserts Dominica PM - Jul 13, 2011
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: antigua and barbuda, baldwin spencer, bridgetown barbados, caricom, chris gayle, dg, dollar lawsuit, grave concerns, impasse, legal case, premier league, prime minister, ralph gonsalves, resolves, st vincent, wednesday evening, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, west indies team, wicb