‘Gay marriage law may affect British royal family’March 18th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 18 (IANS) If gay marriage is allowed by law in Britain, the royal family in future may even have a lesbian consort for the queen or a gay male spouse for the king, an MP has warned.
Tory lawmaker Peter Bone said the new legislation would throw the monarchy into crisis, The Sun reported.
Bone demanded an emergency summit of Commonwealth leaders to discuss the planned changes.
“They seem to be rushing this through without thinking of the broader implications,” he said.
Bone has sent a letter to Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone, warning of possible upheaval in the monarchy.
He wanted to know if the government planned to change the Royal Marriages Act of 1772 to allow a same-sex union.
If the law was changed, Bone said it would become impossible for the monarch to continue as supreme governor of the Church of England.
And if a gay monarch conceived a child either by sperm donor or surrogate mother, it would mean the donor would have a right to a peerage and could gain regal rights, he said.
Gay and lesbian campaign group Stonewall has termed his letter “mischievous”.
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Gay laws: Britain may remove husband, wife terms - Mar 17, 2012
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- Gay marriage: Churchgoers not to vote Tory in next polls - Aug 18, 2012
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012
- I'll legalise gay marriage by 2015: Cameron - Jul 26, 2012
- Gays may 'marry' in traditional way in Britain - Jul 03, 2010
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: british royal family, campaign group, church of england, commonwealth leaders, consort, emergency summit, gay marriage, lawmaker, london march, lynne featherstone, marriage law, monarchy, new legislation, peerage, royal family london, royal marriages, sex union, stonewall, supreme governor, surrogate mother