Gas leak in Tata Steel unit kills one (Lead)December 30th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 30 (IANS) One man died and two others were injured when gas leaked in a blast furnace unit of Tata Steel in Jamshedpur Tuesday, a company statement said.”N.K. Manjhi, K. Bahadur and C. Mukhi were doing the routine schedule maintenance job at the blast furnace gas holder. There was a sudden release of blast furnace gas from the U-Seal of one of the tanks,” the statement said.
Though the three workers were taken to Tata Main Hospital, Jamshedpur, Manjhi succumbed to injuries. The other two people were declared out of danger, the statement added.
The gas release was immediately stopped by closing the valve, the company said.
According to sources, one hospitalised worker is still in critical condition. The Tata Workers Union has expressed concern over the incident.
“We are trying to find out what went wrong that caused the death of a worker,” said the union vice-president Shailesh Singh.