Gas leak in Tata Steel unit kills one (Lead)December 30th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 30 (IANS) One man died and two others were injured when gas leaked in a blast furnace unit of Tata Steel in Jamshedpur Tuesday, a company statement said.”N.K. Manjhi, K. Bahadur and C. Mukhi were doing the routine schedule maintenance job at the blast furnace gas holder. There was a sudden release of blast furnace gas from the U-Seal of one of the tanks,” the statement said.
Though the three workers were taken to Tata Main Hospital, Jamshedpur, Manjhi succumbed to injuries. The other two people were declared out of danger, the statement added.
The gas release was immediately stopped by closing the valve, the company said.
According to sources, one hospitalised worker is still in critical condition. The Tata Workers Union has expressed concern over the incident.
“We are trying to find out what went wrong that caused the death of a worker,” said the union vice-president Shailesh Singh.
- Gas leaks in Tata Steel unit, one dead - Dec 30, 2008
- Gas leakage kills two in Ukraine - Aug 18, 2012
- Death toll mounts in Vizag steel plant blast - Jun 14, 2012
- Gas leak at Durgapur steel plant, 27 taken ill (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- Blast at Mexican gas facility kills 26, seven still missing - Sep 20, 2012
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag Steel Plant (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- 27 fall ill after gas leak at Durgapur Steel Plant - Jul 15, 2010
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
- NMDC to set up India's largest blast furnace in Chhattisgarh - Jun 01, 2011
- 8 fall ill after gas leak at Orissa steel plant - Jan 03, 2010
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Four dead inhaling toxic gas in China - Nov 14, 2011
- Steel Strips Wheels starts supply to Tata Motors - Dec 30, 2010