Gas leak in Mathura, hundreds evacuatedAugust 8th, 2012 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 8 (IANS) Five people were taken ill and hundreds evacuated Wednesday morning following leakage of ammonia gas from an ice manufacturing factory in Uttar Pradesh’s Mathura district, police said.
The incident took place at around 8.30 a.m. when a cylinder containing ammonia gas started leaking. As the gas spread, labourers started vomiting and fled from the factory.
Soon they developed rashes on their bodies and began fainting following which panic-stricken residents of Gopalnagar, where the ice factory is located, also left their houses.
Police too asked them to leave their houses.
A sharp odour, an official told IANS, was emanating from the factory and was spreading to nearby areas.
Fire tenders have been rushed to the spot and were sprinkling water to contain the gas leak, district officials said.
- Fresh gas leakage from Bengal factory triggers panic - Jan 01, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after suspected gas leak - May 10, 2012
- 11 taken ill after cylinder bursts in Kolkata ice-making factory - Dec 31, 2010
- One dead, 10 ill after ammonia cylinder bursts (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Haryana orders probe into Hisar gas leak - May 16, 2010
- Ammonia leak: Disaster averted in Agartala - Apr 19, 2012
- Five killed in ammonia gas cylinder explosion - Nov 14, 2011
- Two treated in Agra after gas leak - Nov 15, 2011
- 14 hospitalised after gas leakage in Bulgaria - Dec 17, 2011
- 28 injured in Delhi fire (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- 50 fall ill after gas leaks in Mumbai - Jul 14, 2010
- Gas leak fire kills three of family - Oct 22, 2011
- Six-hour jam on Mumbai-Pune expressway after gas leak - Sep 06, 2012
- Three die of gas leak in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 29, 2011
- Four of a family charred in Delhi gas cylinder blast - Apr 08, 2012