Gas leak continues at ONGC well in TripuraJune 15th, 2011 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 15 (IANS) Gas continued to leak Wednesday from an ONGC well in western Tripura, even as experts and engineers continued their battle to cap the well, an official said.
However, there is no immediate danger due to the outflow of natural gas though it contains 95 percent methane, said an official of state-owned exploration giant ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation).
The leakage started Tuesday night while personnel and engineers were engaged in maintenance work at the well at Konaban village in western Tripura, ONGC spokesman Anil Raja Vijan told IANS.
Senior experts and other technical personnel immediately rushed to the spot, 40 km south of here, he added.
“Experts from Mumbai, New Delhi and other places are arriving here to help the local engineers and experts to seal the well. We are expecting to shut the well by this (Wednesday) evening.”
ONGC Group General Manager (GGM) and head of the Tripura Asset K. Satyanarayana, who is the chief of ONGC crisis management wing in the northeastern state, has been personally supervising the well-shutting works.
Meanwhile, Tripura State Rifles (TSR) troopers guarded the area to prevent entry of people in and around the ONGC gas drilling areas under Bishalgarh sub-division.
“We are closely supervising the situation. At the moment, there is no need of evacuating the villagers residing near the ONGC drilling areas,” Bishalgarh sub-divisional magistrate Parshant Kumar Goel told IANS.
- Gas leak continues at ONGC well in Tripura (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- ONGC yet to cap gas leak at its Tripura well - Jun 17, 2011
- US experts to help ONGC cap gas leak at Tripura well - Jun 18, 2011
- ONGC caps Tripura gas well leak - Jun 20, 2011
- Six firms keen to partner ONGC for Tripura fertilizer plant - Apr 12, 2012
- ONGC strikes new gas field in Tripura - Mar 15, 2011
- ONGC exploring for gas deposits in Mizoram - Aug 11, 2011
- Tripura tribal woman's death sparks ethnic tension - Feb 20, 2011
- ONGC to set up gas-based fertilizer plant in Tripura - Jan 24, 2012
- CAG critical of ONGC exploration performance - Aug 28, 2012
- Squalls, hailstorm kill seven in Tripura - Apr 10, 2012
- Reang refugees' return to Mizoram stalled again - May 16, 2012
- Tripura to ask CBI to probe rape, death of tribal leader - Mar 07, 2011
- Tripura trooper guns down five of family - Apr 28, 2012
- Northeastern India's largest power project to ease electricity woes - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: agartala, crisis management, gas drilling, gas leak, ggm, goel, group general, magistrate, maintenance work, methane, natural gas corporation, New Delhi, northeastern state, ongc, outflow, rifles, satyanarayana, technical personnel, tuesday night, wednesday evening