Garo rebels to surrender in MeghalayaApril 27th, 2011 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, April 26 (IANS) At least 20 Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels in Meghalaya will give up arms and surrender Wednesday, an official said.
“At least, 20 GNLA rebels led by Ningrang Sangma, the chief training instructor of the outfit, will surrender before Home Minister H.D.R Lyngdoh,” a senior state home ministry official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, is headed by police officer-turned-rogue Champion R. Sangma and is fighting for a sovereign “Garoland” in western Meghalaya.
“The rebels are travelling to Shillong from Garo Hills region. They wanted to surrender due to ideological difference and ill-treatment of its cadres by the top leaders,” the official said.
Gregory A. Sangma, the GNLA general secretary surrendered to police Dec 18, 21010 citing differences in their ideology with his leaders - chairman Champion R. Sangma and Sohan D. Shira, the chief of GNLA’s military wing.
- More Garo rebels to surrender: Meghalaya home minister - Dec 20, 2010
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Surrendered Garo rebel's house torched, mother missing - Jan 29, 2012
- Combing operations in Meghalaya Garo Hills intensified - Jun 16, 2011
- GNLA-ULFA camp busted in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2012
- Garo rebels, security forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- Meghalaya takes precautionary steps after bomb threat - Jul 18, 2011
- Abducted Meghalaya official still untraced - Oct 20, 2010
- Meghalaya to probe police-rebel nexus - Apr 15, 2011
- Rebel shutdown hits life in Meghalaya - Sep 12, 2011
- Meghalaya confirms rebel leader's death - Jun 20, 2011
- Will not bow to Garo rebels' demands: Minister - Sep 17, 2011
- Centre, Meghalaya not keen on talks with GNLA - Aug 10, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted official - Oct 02, 2010
- Meghalaya seeks central assistance to nab rebel leader - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,