Garo rebels target police party, no casualtiesApril 27th, 2012 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, April 26 (IANS) A police team in Meghalaya Thursday had a narrow escape when Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels triggered an improvised explosive device (IED) at Dagi Teksragre area in South Garo Hills district, police said. No casualties were reported.
A woman, however, went into shock due to the blast.
“They (GNLA) attempted to kill the police personnel who were travelling in a convoy of two to three vehicles but they managed to escape,” Inspector General of Police F.D. Sangma told IANS.
Sangma said the security forces were returning from Chokpot in South Garo Hills to Tura, the districts headquarters of West Garo Hills.
The GNLA, which was declared a terrorist outfit under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, is fighting for Garoland in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western part of Meghalaya.
Over 30 people, including security personnel, have been killed by GNLA rebels in the Garo Hills in the last one year. In the past two months, nine people were killed while three engineers of the government-run Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited were abducted by GNLA rebels. The engineers were later released unharmed.
Sangma said a massive combing operation has been launched to nab the rebels.
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Chidambaram to review Meghalaya security situation Sunday - Feb 17, 2012
- Kidnapped engineers untraced, GNLA chief escapes (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- GNLA killed ex-constable - Feb 26, 2012
- GNLA guns down school teacher in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2012
- One injured as Garo rebels fire in Meghalaya town market - Jul 21, 2012
- Garo rebel group GNLA declared terrorist outfit - Feb 01, 2012
- Garo rebels kill three in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2012
- GNLA sets conditions to free abducted engineers - Jan 28, 2012
- Rebels free Meghalaya official after 34 days - Dec 24, 2011
- GNLA rebels, forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Mar 02, 2012
- Meghalaya CM confident of tackling GNLA - Mar 13, 2012
- Suspected Meghalaya rebels abduct official, traders - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: abducted, casualties, convoy, district police, energy corporation limited, explosive device, garo hills district, ied, inspector general, meghalaya, narrow escape, national liberation army, police team, prevention act, rebels, security forces, security personnel, shillong, target, west garo hills