Garo rebels, security forces exchange fire in MeghalayaJuly 30th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 30 (IANS) A fierce gun-battle broke out between the security forces and Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels Monday in the newly-created North Garo Hills district in western Meghalaya, police said.
Though there were no casualties on the security forces’ side, police are yet to confirm if any of the rebels were injured in the exchange of fire which lasted for about an hour.
The gunfight took place at Dabingggre village when the security forces came under fire from hiding GNLA rebels.
“The militants retreated into the jungle after intensive firing from security forces,” a police official told IANS.
The group of 10 GNLA rebels was led by their “area commander” Philiport Sangma, the official said.
A massive hunt is on to nab the rebels.
The GNLA, one of five Garo rebel groups fighting for a separate ‘Garoland’ in the western area of Meghalaya, is headed by police officer-turned-rogue Champion R. Sangma.
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels and commandos - Jul 09, 2011
- Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- GNLA-ULFA camp busted in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- GNLA rebels, forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Mar 02, 2012
- Chidambaram assures central help to Meghalaya - Jul 07, 2011
- Will not withdraw forces from Garo Hills: Sangma - Dec 06, 2011
- Two Bodo rebels gunned down in Meghalaya - Jun 18, 2011
- Meghalaya mulls chopper use to fight rebels - Jul 31, 2011
- Militants kill five in Meghalaya - Apr 06, 2011
- Combing operations in Meghalaya Garo Hills intensified - Jun 16, 2011
- Surrendered Garo rebel's house torched, mother missing - Jan 29, 2012
- One injured as Garo rebels fire in Meghalaya town market - Jul 21, 2012