Garcia Bernal takes spotlight at Colombia film festFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Cartagena (Colombia), Feb 26 (IANS/EFE) Mexican actor, director and producer Gael Garcia Bernal was a star attraction here among cinema lovers at the Cartagena Film Festival.
The actor who played Che Guevara in “Motorcycle Diaries” and is attending the Colombian film event for the first time, spoke from his point of view as a producer about the dichotomy between Latin American movies and politics.
“Films can be transcendental or just entertaining, or they can move between the two extremes - there are no rules to make us do anything specifically. But in Latin America it’s hard to divorce ourselves from political complexity in any film we do,” the actor said Friday.
“In Latin America it’s hard not to portray political, religious, social or sexual complexity, since human relations are full of all that. So it’s incredibly hard to avoid the subject of politics,” the moviemaker said.
He also said that compared with formulas that “succeed in the United States”, the road to success in Latin American films is “personal expression.”
“If you already have a real Julia Roberts movie, why would you want to make something like a Julia Roberts movie in Spanish if the original is better,” he laughed.
The Mexican has been cast to succeed Antonio Banderas in the role of Zorro in the next production in the series, which this time will have a surprisingly futuristic look.
With regard to his upcoming role in “Zorro Reborn”, Garcia Bernal preferred not to go into detail and would only say that “the news came as a surprise” and that he didn’t know “any more about it”.
- Mexican actor to be the new Zorro - Feb 18, 2012
- Actor Garcia Bernal prefers comedy - Feb 16, 2012
- Che Guevara's motorcycle companion dead - Mar 06, 2011
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Hollywood stars Hayek, Banderas shatter stereotypes - Oct 28, 2011
- Castro's daughter wants Banderas to play her dad in film - Jan 15, 2012
- Banderas lends voice to 3D animated film - Apr 06, 2012
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Andy Garcia thrilled about shooting in Mexico - Apr 14, 2012
- Eva Longoria shoots film in Dominican Republic - Nov 30, 2011
- Another Zorro movie is in the pipeline - Apr 28, 2011
- Banderas, Hayek present `Puss in Boots' on cruise ship - Oct 18, 2011
- Gael Garcia Bernal expecting baby - Sep 28, 2010
- Mexico's `Miss Bala' entered in Toronto film festival - Aug 18, 2011
- Seven Latin American films among Golden Globe award finalists - Dec 10, 2009
Tags: antonio banderas, che guevara, cinema lovers, dichotomy, extremes, film event, film fest, film festival, gael garcia bernal, human relations, julia roberts, latin america, latin american films, mexican actor, motorcycle diaries, moviemaker, personal expression, political complexity, star attraction, zorro