Ganguly sees his shade in DhoniNovember 10th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Nov 10 (IANS) India’s most successful captain Sourav Ganguly sees his shade in Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Ganguly, who bid adieu to international cricket here Monday, said that Dhoni’s leadership style was reminiscent of his self.”Captaincy I just did what I felt was right. I never was a captain who believed in the drawing room and I see a lot of that in Mahendra Singh Dhoni. He doesn’t believe a lot in team meeting and all,” Ganguly told reporters here.
Dhoni, who maintained a 100 percent win record as a captain after winning the final Test against Australia, in a remarkable gesture to Ganguly, handed him the reins of captaincy in the closing overs of the fourth and last cricket Test against Australia here.
With one wicket left for India to wrap up a hard-fought series 2-0 against Australia, Ganguly promptly took charge of the team for one last time. The Dada of yore was back marshalling his troop with the same aura that made him India’s most successful skipper.
Ganguly, who is the most successful India captain, had words of praise for Dhoni.
“He does what he sees on the cricket field. He probably has a better view than I had being behind the stumps,” he said.
Exactly eight years ago on this day, Ganguly made his debut as a captain against Bangladesh in Dhaka and it was only fitting that he ended as the leader to finish a memorable series.
“Dhoni has done wonderfully well so far with his win in the Twenty20 World Cup, ODI series in Australia and in beating Australia here. He has done fantastically well and I know he has the abilities to take Indian cricket forward,” Ganguly said.
- Rest required for Dhoni before Australia tour: Sourav - Oct 07, 2011
- Ganguly expects India to bounce back against England - Aug 08, 2011
- Gambhir can't be compared to MSD as t20 captain: Ganguly - May 28, 2012
- Dhoni ready to give up Test captaincy for better replacement - Jan 31, 2012
- Ganguly concerned over India's showing abroad - Oct 20, 2011
- Fans expect Ganguly to sparkle for Pune Warriors - May 08, 2011
- Dhoni in no rush to phase out seniors - Jan 28, 2012
- Ganguly has made a great contribution to Indian cricket: Azhar - Apr 19, 2011
- Dhoni not interested in Test cricket: Ganguly - Jan 13, 2012
- Ganguly leads India for one last time - Nov 10, 2008
- Majority of Kolkatans to root for Dada, not KKR on May 5 - Apr 29, 2012
- Despite loss, Dhoni best T-20 captain: Ganguly (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- India must clear cobwebs in mind and play fearless cricket: Ganguly - Jan 12, 2012
- Former captains pay rich tributes to Dravid at BCCI ceremony - Mar 27, 2012
- Young Indian team focussed on doing well: Raina - Jun 03, 2011