Gang of highway robbers posing as cops bustedMay 31st, 2010 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Delhi Police Monday claimed to have busted a gang of highway robbers who would pose as policemen or sales tax officials, with the arrest of seven men and have recovered Rs.12 lakh worth of looted goods from them.
Rajesh, 48, who is said to be the gang leader was arrested Sunday along with Jagbir, 42, Rajender, 35, Rafique, 30, Mohammed Khalid, 22, Rajji Ahmad, 19, and Bajrangi Yadav, 40.
The incidents of truck and tempo robberies were on a rise and two incidents were reported in May alone, police said.
The modus-operandi of the gang was to stop the truck or tempo and then introduce themselves as police officials or sales tax officials.
“On Sunday, we received information that a gang involved in several incidents of highway robberies will come to find a buyer for looted goods,” senior police officer said.
A trap was laid in front of the CNG station in Mahipalpur and police put barricades and started checking vehicles.
“After the informer pointed out the accused to us, a Maruti van was signalled to stop, but instead of stopping they tried to speed away. The police party chased them and succeeded in apprehending all the accused,” the officer added.
“During interrogation the accused confessed to having committed highway robberies. Subsequent to their disclosure, raids were conducted and one buyer of stolen goods, Bajrangi Yadav, was apprehended,” the officer added.
“Looted goods worth Rs.12 lakh have been recovered from the house of the buyer and the rented godown of the accused persons,” the officer said.
- Servant, four others, held for looting house - May 04, 2011
- Five Bangladeshis held for dacoity - May 04, 2010
- Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 07, 2011
- Jeweller's employee held for helping robbers - Dec 22, 2010
- Rs.5 lakh looted, businessman injured - Jun 11, 2012
- Interstate narcotic syndicate busted in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012
- Seven held for thefts in Delhi buses - Feb 03, 2011
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Eight held in Delhi, Ghaziabad for Rs.10 crore Chandigarh heist (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Four criminals arrested in Delhi - Mar 14, 2010
- Five robbers held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- Three more held for shooting Delhi legislator - Jun 05, 2012
- Rs.8.5 lakh looted from Jharkhand bank - Dec 21, 2010
- Notorious criminal arrested in Delhi - May 26, 2010
Tags: ahmad, barricades, cng station, delhi police, disclosure, gang leader, godown, highway robberies, highway robbers, interrogation, khalid, maruti van, mohammed, New Delhi, police officer, police officials, policemen, sales tax, seven men, tax officials