Gang of car thieves nabbed in PunjabDecember 12th, 2010 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mandi Gobindgarh (Punjab), Dec 12 (IANS) A gang of car thieves, including a sacked policeman, who specialised in stealing Sports Utility Vehicles (SUV) was nabbed in Punjab and eight vehicles seized from them, police said Sunday.Acting on a tip-off, the police laid a trap to nab the accused late Saturday here. Former policeman Joga Singh, Bimal Kumar and Rinderjit Singh were arrested. However, the fourth gang member, Inderjeet Singh, managed to escape.
“They used to steal SUVs from Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and Uttar Pradesh with the help of duplicate keys. They would sell the vehicles to gullible customers by making fake registration certificates,” Ludhiana Deputy Inspector General Paramjit Singh told IANS.
“Eight SUVs were seized from their possession. We also recovered some duplicate stamps of various government departments,” Singh said.
The four came in contact with each other while they were lodged in a Punjab jail.
- Eight held for stealing vehicles in Punjab - Sep 09, 2010
- Inter-state gang of vehicle thieves busted, three held - Apr 05, 2011
- Police official among three nabbed for car lifting - Jan 02, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted, 4 held - Feb 06, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- Man involved in 300 car thefts held -- again (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Gang supplying arms to Maoists busted (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- 51 stolen luxury cars recovered, nine held in Punjab - Jul 14, 2011
- Inter-state gang of vehicle thieves busted, five held - Mar 06, 2010
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Chandigarh police bust gang of auto thieves - Mar 07, 2010
- Punjab to create 'green wall' around industrial hubs - Jun 15, 2011
- Two held with 5,000 pirated CDs in Chandigarh - Feb 27, 2011
- 13 held for vehicle thefts in Delhi - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: bimal, car thieves, chandigarh, deputy inspector general, duplicate keys, gang member, government departments, inderjeet singh, mandi gobindgarh, paramjit singh, policeman, possession, registration certificates, sports utility vehicles, stamps