Ganesh festival celebrated in KarnatakaSeptember 1st, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 1 (IANS) Millions across Karnataka Thursday celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi with traditional gaiety and fervour, undeterred by cloudy weather and heavy rains in many parts.
People thronged temples since morning to pray. The festival was also celebrated at homes and in residential localities across cities and towns. with idols put up in pandals.
In Bangalore, thousands visited the Dodda Ganesh temple in upscale Basavangudi and offered flowers, fruits and modak, a sweetmeat stuffed in wheat-based dough, to the lord.
Touted to be the biggest idol in the city, the 18-foot-high and 16-foot-wide monolith is built on a boulder hill in Bugle Rock garden.
Ganesh temples in other localities in the city also witnessed a heavy rush of devotees till late afternoon.
With the festival coming a day after Eid-ul-Fitr, police kept enhanced vigil near temples, markets and sensitive areas to maintain law and order.
Governor H.R. Bhardwaj and Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda greeted the people on the occasion.
Though incessant rains and strong winds affected the movement of people and vehicles in coastal districts and parts of the Malnad region, the festive spirit was not dampened.
- Ganpati Bappa Morya: B-Town wishes Happy Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 01, 2011
- Ganapati Bappa Morya, B-town chants on Ganesh festival - Sep 19, 2012
- Hyderabad Ganesh festival begins amid tight security - Sep 01, 2011
- Coimbatore devotees worship Asia's largest Ganesh idol on Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 01, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Ganesh Chaturthi with fervour (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- Fervour, gaiety mark Ganesha, Eid festivities in Karnataka - Sep 11, 2010
- Mumbai celebrates Ganesh festival - Sep 19, 2012
- Ganesha comes to capital for 11-day gala - Sep 01, 2011
- Ganesh festival begins in Mumbai (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Goa government pitches for fish-devourable Ganesh idols (With Image) - Aug 01, 2012
- 'Green blessings' from Lord Ganesha - Sep 06, 2011
- Traders to beseech Lord Ganesha against FDI in retail - Sep 18, 2012
- Opt for eco-friendly Ganesh idols, Bangaloreans urged - Sep 08, 2010
- Film stars, dignitaries celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi in Mumbai - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: bhardwaj, boulder hill, bugle, chief minister, cloudy weather, coastal districts, eid ul fitr, festive spirit, gaiety, ganesh chaturthi, ganesh festival, ganesh temple, gowda, heavy rains, heavy rush, incessant rains, monolith, sensitive areas, strong winds, sweetmeat