Gandhi family had special regard for Bhimsen Joshi: SoniaJanuary 25th, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday expressed her heartfelt condolences on the passing away of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi and said the Gandhi family always had a very special regard for the music legend.In a letter to his son Srinivas Joshi, Gandhi said Pandit Bhimsen Joshi was the doyen of Indian classical music and a living legend in his lifetime.
“My family always had a very special regard for Pandit Bhimsen Joshi and cherished him as a great musician, a fine human being and a wonderful ambassador of Indian culture. I join his huge circle of admirers and friends in paying tribute to him. We will always remember him with gratitude for all the ways in which he enriched our cultural life,” she said.
Gandhi said she was deeply saddened to learn of his passing away. “His passing away is an irreplacable loss to the world of music and to India’s music tradition.”
“Pandit Bhimsen Joshi embodied the very pinnacle of our great classical music tradition. All those who were priviliged to hear him singing never forgot the magic of that experience which stirred and uplifted the soul. His great musical genius was a reflection of his own deep spirituality, his profound understanding of human nature, as well as his brilliant virtuosity,” Gandhi said.
She said his voice will live on forever, through his recordings, through his school and through his many disciples to whom he gave of himself with utmost generosity and dedication.
Joshi, 88, died of old age related ailments Monday morning at a hospital in Pune.
- Pandit Joshi's music will ring forever in our hearts: Bollywood - Jan 24, 2011
- President, Vice President condole demise of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Maharashtra politicos condole Bhimsen Joshi's death - Jan 24, 2011
- PM condoles demise of vocalist Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Karnataka town mourns loss of its famous son - Jan 24, 2011
- West Bengal artists mourn Bhimsen Joshi's death - Jan 24, 2011
- Bhimsen Joshi passes away, country mourns death of its 'ratna' (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Sunset of Indian music: artists on Bhimsen Joshi's death - Jan 24, 2011
- President, PM condole death of Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Indian Celebrities Express Their Reverence For The Deceased Musical Maestro, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 25, 2011
- Pandit Joshi's passing an end of a timeless legacy: Amjad Ali - Jan 24, 2011
- Bharat Ratna Bhimsen Joshi passes away - Jan 24, 2011
- Karnataka institutes award in memory of Bhimsen Joshi - Feb 25, 2011
- Lata remembers veteran Marathi composer Khale - Sep 04, 2011
- Shrinivas Joshi- The next Pt. Bhimsen Joshi in the making - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: admirers, ailments, congress president sonia gandhi, disciples, doyen, generosity, great classical music, heartfelt condolences, human nature, indian classical music, indian culture, jan 24, living legend, monday morning, music legend, music tradition, musical genius, pandit bhimsen joshi, virtuosity, world of music