Gambhir, Kohli hit centuries as India set Sri Lanka 305 to chase (Lead)March 13th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mirpur (Dhaka), March 13 (IANS) A double century stand between centurions Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli took India to a competitive 304 for three in 50 overs against Sri Lanka in the second ODI of the Asia Cup at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium here Tuesday.
Gambhir (100) and Kohli (108) shared a 205-run stand for the second wicket after India were put to bat by Sri Lanka. India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni (46) and Suresh Raina (22) quickly added 78 runs for the unbroken fourth-wicket stand to get the team past the 300-run mark.
India lost Sachin Tendulkar (6) early and Gambhir and Kohli took some time to settle down before opening their arms. The Delhi boys rotated the strike well to put the Sri Lanka fielders under pressure.
Kohli scored his second successive century after a splendid 133 against the Sri Lanka in Hobart, where India chased down a mammoth 321 in 36.4 overs. The young lad played another flawless innings against the Sri Lankans, smashing seven fours in his 120-ball stay.
Gambhir, however, was lucky as he survived twice before getting his ninth ODI century.He survived a dropped catch on 32 and a run out when on 94 with Dinesh Chandimal being the culprit and on both the occasion.
Gambhir was caught at long on trying to hoist Farveez Maharoof while Kohli two balls later was caught at extra cover with the score on 226 in 42.5 overs.
Dhoni and Raina gave India the much needed impetus. Raina carted Suranga Lakmal for 12 runs in the 47th over, while Dhoni plundered Nuwan Kulasekara for 17 runs the very next over to bring up the 50-run partnership between the two in just 30 balls.
Maharoof was the pick of the bowlers with figures of 2-57, but Sri Lanka sorely missed Lasith Malinga’s skillful death bowling as the Indians ripped apart the Sri Lankan bowlers in the end.
The last five overs were very productive for India as they scored 63 runs. Dhoni and Raina ended the innings with an unbeaten partnership of 78 runs in just 43 balls.
India yet again failed to make good use of the third powerplay, managing just 34 runs, even though they had nine wickets in hand.
- India ride on Kohli and Gambhir's brilliance to beat Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Sri Lanka - Mar 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI, Asia Cup - Mar 13, 2012
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka put India in to bat - Mar 13, 2012
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
- Kohli stars in India's 21-run win over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Kohli fashions a miracle chase for India (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Kohli's ton, double century stand with Gambhir see India victorious - Oct 18, 2011
- Samaraweera ton guides Sri Lanka to beat India (Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Gambhir, Dhoni help India pull off four-wicket win against Oz (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- Kohli, Raina give India unassailable series lead - Jul 31, 2012
- Yuvraj takes India to 279/9 - Jan 05, 2010
- India fall 51 short of target set by Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Dhoni leads India to World Cup victory after 28 years (Intro Roundup) - Apr 03, 2011
- Rahane shines as India take 3-0 lead against England (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: asia cup, bangla, bowlers, centurions, culprit, dhaka, double century, fielders, impetus, india set, lasith malinga, mahendra singh dhoni, odi, sher, sri lankan, sri lankans, suresh, tendulkar, two balls, wicket