Gaddafi’s spy chief held in MauritaniaMarch 18th, 2012 - 3:43 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Late former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s intelligence chief has been arrested in Mauritania, one of Africa’s newest oil producers countries, the Al Jazeera reported Saturday.
The 63-year-old Abdullah al-Senussi has been described as a hardliner and one of Gaddafi’s closest aides. He fled Libya after Gaddafi was deposed and then killed in an uprising last year.
According to Mauritanian security officials, Al-Senussi who is also Gaddafi’s brother-in-law, was detained at Nouakchott airport as he arrived from the Moroccan city of Casablanca on a false Malian passport.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has indicted Senussi on two counts of crimes against humanity.
- Libya to seek ex spy chief's extradition (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Mar 18, 2012
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Gaddafi's son to remain in Niger - Nov 16, 2011
- Gaddaffi's cousin defects to Egypt: report - Feb 25, 2011
- International Criminal Court seeks Gaddafi's arrest - May 16, 2011
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's wife and daughter flee to Tunisia: Al Jazeera - May 18, 2011
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- Libyan tribal chiefs call for amnesty - May 08, 2011
- Libyan military attacks anti-government forces near Tripoli - Mar 05, 2011
- Berlusconi denies deaths of Gaddafi's son, grandchildren - May 26, 2011
- Libyan officers urge troops to oust Gaddafi - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: aides, al jazeera, casablanca, crimes against humanity, intelligence chief, international criminal court, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, mauritania, moroccan city, moscow, muammar gaddafi, nouakchott airport, oil producers, passport, ria novosti, security officials, spy chief, uprising