Gaddafi’s son to stand trial in SeptemberAugust 24th, 2012 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Saif al-Islam, the second son of slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, will go on trial in September in the Libyan town of Zintan, despite repeated calls from the International Criminal Court (ICC) to try him at The Hague.
A committee from the prosecutor general’s office has completed its investigation into the crimes committed by Saif al-Islam from the start of the revolution Feb 15, 2011, and has prepared a charge sheet, Al Arabiya quoted prosecution spokesman Taha Nasser Baara as saying.
The 40-year-old Saif was captured last year by a militia from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.
The ICC, which is authorised to try cases involving individuals charged with war crimes worldwide, has expressed concern that Libya is not set up to give Gaddafi’s son a fair trial.
The country’s interim rulers are having trouble uniting the country, caught in a power struggle between numerous militia and tribes.
Libyan authorities, however, insist that they have “solid proof in the form of sound recordings, images, documents and testimony”, which was “sufficient to condemn and judge” Saif in Libya.
Saif and his lawyers have asked for a trial in The Hague as they are afraid that he could face death sentence if tried in Libya.
He was considered the most likely successor to Gaddafi and actively supported his father’s attempts to quash the rebellion last year.
Gaddafi’s regime was overthrown in October 2011 by opposition forces with NATO assistance after a seven-month civil war. Gaddafi, who ruled the country for 42 years, was captured and killed by rebels near his home town of Sirte Oct 20, 2011.
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's son offered rebels $2 bn for his release - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saif captured - Nov 19, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: Prosecutor - Dec 16, 2011
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- Australian FM Carr heads to Libya to seek ICC lawyer's release - Jun 19, 2012
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
- Gaddafi's bloodied shirt, ring up for sale - Feb 03, 2012
- Gaddafi's son says Tripoli under government control - Aug 23, 2011
- Gaddafi daughter asks Libyans to revolt - Nov 30, 2011
- Gaddafi hiding in western border area: Rebels - Sep 28, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: al arabiya, death sentence, hague, international criminal court, libyan authorities, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, militia, muammar gaddafi, nasser, opposition forces, power struggle, prosecutor general, ria novosti, saif al islam, seven month, sirte, sound recordings, war crimes, zintan