Gaddafi still a threat, says rebel chiefAugust 29th, 2011 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 29 (IANS) Muammar Gaddafi is still a threat even though his whereabouts were still not known, the chief of Libya’s rebel group has said.
The Libyan leader has not been seen since rebel troops entered the capital Tripoli a week ago.
Mustafa Abdel Jalil, who chairs the rebel National Transition Council (NTC), however, said it was important that NATO and its allies continue helping the country.
“I call for continued protection from NATO and its allies from this tyrant (Gaddafi). He is still a threat, not just for Libyans but for the entire world,” Jalil was quoted as saying by Sky News Monday.
Jalil was speaking from Doha, Qatar, as he met other leaders to discuss the future of the country.
The rebels said they have no information about where Gaddafi was, but have offered a reward of $1.3 million and amnesty from prosecution to anyone who kills or captures him.
US Admiral Samuel Locklear, who is heading the NATO operations, said he believed the Gaddafi regime was “near collapse”.
NATO was “committed to seeing the operation through to its conclusion”, he said.
NATO has conducted 20,751 sorties in Libya, including 7,806 strikes since the conflict began March 31. It has also carried out 864 “humanitarian assistance movements”, which includes efforts on the ground, by air and by sea, official figures show.
- 50,000 rebel prisoners missing in Libya - Aug 29, 2011
- NATO chief makes unannounced visit to Libya - Nov 01, 2011
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's wife, three children cross into Algeria - Aug 30, 2011
- Libyan rebel government to move to Tripoli next week - Sep 04, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- UN chief calls on Gaddafi's forces to stop fighting - Aug 23, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Still no idea about Gaddafi's whereabouts: NTC - Sep 20, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Libya's rebels ready for truce if Gaddafi also complies - Apr 01, 2011
- Rebels refuse to talk to Gaddafi aide - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: admiral, amnesty, collapse, entire world, gaddafi regime, humanitarian assistance, libyan leader, libyans, muammar gaddafi, national transition, nato operations, ntc, prosecution, rebel group, rebel troops, rebels, sky news, transition council, tripoli, tyrant