Futures tournament: a big opportunity for Indian tennis playersSeptember 6th, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) German Peter Gojowczyk, ranked 346 on ATP charts, is the top seed in the $15,000 International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) men’s Futures tournament that begins at the R.K. Khanna tennis stadium here Monday.The home tournament will be a good opportunity for Indian players like Sunil Kumar Sipaeya and Ashutosh Singh, who are regular in the ITF circuit, to get back to form.
Sunil, ranked 502, is the top Indian in the draw, seeded fourth. Sipaeya has been going through a form slump, having made first round exits in all seven Futures tournaments this year.
Ashutosh Singh, ranked 648, is the second Indian in the list. Ashutosh reached the quarterfinal of one of the Ireland Futures in June before his form dipped. He exited from the first round in Britain in July and then suffered another first round loss at home in the third Challenger event here in August.
Karan Uday Singh, 17, who reached the qualifying final of the Delhi Challenger in May and last week made it to the second round of the Chennai ITF, will get another chance to prove his credentials. Karan enters the tournament as a wild card.
The other three wild cards have gone to Ronak Manuja, P.C. Vignesh and Navinder Pal Singh.
Players from Chinese Taipei, Germany, Greece, Israel, Japan, Korea, Pakistan, US, and Uzbekistan will be participating in the five-day event.
The qualifiers of the tournament began Saturday.
Punjab National Bank is the title sponsor for the tournament. The Oriental Insurance Company Limited and Mineral and Metal Trading Corporation are the co-sponsor.
- Malik top seed as Vishnu pulls out from ITF event - May 27, 2012
- Top Indians for ITF event - Jun 03, 2012
- Vishnu Vardhan top seed in ITF event - May 23, 2012
- Bisht eliminates Thakkar at ITF meet - Jul 22, 2012
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 07, 2011
- Tennis: Nelord, Vignaesh ousted, unseeded Wagh in semis - Mar 03, 2011
- Easy wins for seeded players in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 08, 2011
- Malik leads way into last 8 in ITF meet - May 30, 2012
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 09, 2011
- Selvaraj knocks out Jeong at ITF meet - Jul 31, 2012
- Tennis nationals: Rutuja stuns top seed Prerna - Oct 11, 2011
- Mitsuhashi given top billing in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 06, 2011
- Gajjar crashes out, Yuki reaches second round of ITF (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Ashutosh through to last eight, Shivika out of national tennis - Mar 02, 2011
- Wild cards score in ITF Mandya Open - May 29, 2012