Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fireMay 15th, 2012 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 15 (IANS) Furniture worth several lakhs of rupees was gutted in a major fire that engulfed a furniture market in Chandigarh late night and could be controlled only by early Tuesday, police said.
Firefighters had to battle the blaze in Sector 53 for four to five hours after it broke out late Monday.
The furniture market, which is one of the bigger ones in the region and supplies furniture to areas in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana, besides Chandigarh, looked like a big inferno as the fire spread.
The market is located near Chandigarh’s Beant Singh Memorial along the union territory’s boundary with Mohali town of adjoining Punjab.
“Around 35 furniture shops were completely destroyed in the fire. Goods worth several lakhs were destroyed as the fire spread very quickly,” a fireman at the spot said.
The fire department had to rush at least 10 fire tenders to control the blaze.
“We disconnected the electricity supply of the area to check the spread of the fire. We will look into the cause of the fire,” Chandigarh’s joint commissioner of the municipal corporation and chief fire officer Rajiv Gupta said.
Gupta said there was no loss of life or any injury to anyone.
Shopkeepers at the market said their business was ruined. They said newly made wooden furniture, steel and iron furniture and plastic items were destroyed in the fire.
- Fire in Uttar Pradesh hotel, no casualty - Sep 29, 2011
- Major fire in Meerut market, no casualty - May 02, 2011
- Market blaze destroys goods worth lakhs of rupees - Mar 14, 2011
- Shopping complex in Uttar Pradesh gutted, no casualties - Apr 06, 2011
- Leather goods warehouse gutted, no casualty - Nov 11, 2010
- Major fire in paper factory, no casualties - Apr 26, 2011
- Motorbike showroom gutted in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 18, 2011
- 1,000 huts gutted in Dhaka - Nov 17, 2011
- Huge fire in plywood factory in Kanpur - Jul 31, 2010
- Fire guts Meerut factory, sports goods destroyed - Feb 12, 2011
- Major fire in Uttar Pradesh commercial complex - Sep 05, 2011
- Security guard killed in Uttar Pradesh bank fire - May 09, 2011
- Two firemen killed in US blaze - Apr 10, 2012
- 80 shops gutted in Lucknow fire - Nov 06, 2010
- World's tallest log cabin destroyed in fire - May 07, 2012
Tags: beant singh, blaze, chief fire officer, early tuesday, electricity supply, fire department, fire tenders, firefighters, fireman, furniture market, furniture shops, haryana, himachal pradesh, inferno, iron furniture, rajiv gupta, rupees, union territory, wooden furniture, worth lakhs