Fugitive Catholic priest arrested in Tamil NaduMarch 17th, 2012 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 17 (IANS) Catholic priest Rev Joseph Palanivel Jeyapaul was arrested in Erode in Tamil Nadu on charges of molesting a child in the US when he was there during 2004, police said Saturday.
Acting on an alert by Interpol, Tamil Nadu police arrested Rev Jeyapaul, 57, Friday evening and presented him in a court in Erode which ordered that he be handed over to Interpol officials in New Delhi.
The Tamil Nadu police had traced Rev Jeyapaul to a church in Erode, around 335 km from here.
The priest, a fugitive from US law has been charged with molesting a 14-year-old girl in the US in 2004 when he was at a pastoral ministry at Roseau county of Crookston Diocese in Minnesota.
He returned to India in 2005 and maintained a low profile. In 2010, the Archbishop of Madras Mylapore A.M. Chinnappa had asked Jeyapaul to return to the US to face the charges.
- Accused of abuse, Catholic priest asked to return to US (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010
- No request for accused priest's return to US: Church - Apr 06, 2010
- Indian church to look into abusive priests issue - Apr 07, 2010
- Stop harassing Christians, Tamil bishops tell government - Mar 08, 2012
- Pope under fire for not acting against sexual abuse by Catholic priests - Apr 06, 2010
- Tamil Nadu Congress legislator dead - Jul 25, 2010
- Four more DMK leaders arrested - Aug 04, 2011
- DMK boycotts budget over arrest of party leaders (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Veerappan's widow acquitted in all cases in Karnataka - Apr 25, 2011
- Pope was told pedophile priest would get transfer - Mar 26, 2010
- Karunanidhi attacks poll panel - Mar 26, 2011
- Goa court allows archbishop time to challenge summons - Aug 02, 2011
- Goa court issues warrant againt Canada-based priest - Jun 14, 2011
- Spanish priest suspended over abuse allegations - Sep 22, 2010
- Hindu statesman Zed to preside over interfaith-panel of Episcopal Convention in Nevada - Apr 29, 2011