From smile to teary eyes, as Kanimozhi goes to TiharMay 20th, 2011 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) Smile to teary eyes — emotions changed on DMK MP Kanimozhi’s face within hours as the special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court Friday rejected her bail plea in 2G spectrum scam case and sent her to the Tihar Jail.
There was a pin drop silence in the jam-packed courtroom and all heads turned towards Kanimozhi when CBI Special Judge O.P. Saini rejected her bail plea.
As she was not able to hear the court ruling, the 43-year-old daughter of DMK chief M.Karunanidhi turned to party colleague and former communications minister A.Raja - the main accused in the case - who told her that bail plea has been dismissed. It seemed she couldn’t believe the decision. She asked him again.
When the decision of the court sank in, Kanimozhi’s facial emotions changed drastically. While all through the day in the court and out, she smiled her gentle smile, the news, however, clearly stunned her.
She closed her eyes for a few seconds before she regained her composure and the usual smile was back on her face. Raja is in Tihar Jail too.
The court also rejected the bail plea of Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar. It was Sharad Kumar’s wife who came forward to console Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi, wearing an orange salwar suit, was also consoled by her family members, including her husband Aravindan.
She continuously talked to Aravindan, who always accompanied her during her court appearances, and looked like giving him some instructions.
The judge’s pronouncement, meanwhile, stirred the security officials into action. The CBI officials had to make their way to get near her in order to take her into custody.
For around 20 minutes, the police officials in the courtroom had a tough time to make way for Kanimozhi so that they could take her to the Patiala Court lock-up which was just a few metres away.
“Please call women constables,” shouted a police officer and then politely asked lawyers, media persons and relatives to give them space.
As she was taken away, Kanimozhi’s bodyguard started wailing loudly in the court. Kanimozhi’s women relatives, who had surrounded her, also started crying. It was clearly difficult for kanimozhi to control her emotions.
Asked if she was disappointed, the DMK leader just said: “It was expected. Thanks.”
Kanimozhi was taken into custody by women constables and she walked toward the court lock-up teary-eyed.
On the other side, Sharad Kumar’s wife was crying as he too was being taken to jail.
DMK leaders - Helen Davidson, T.M. Selvaganapathy, T.R. Baalu, T.K.S. Elangovan, Adhi Sankar, S.R. Jeyadurai and Vasanthi Stanley - were present in the court.
Also present in the courtroom was Raja, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, Raja’s aide R.K. Chandolia, Vinod Goenka of Swan Telecom and Sanjay Chandra of Unitech. All of accused were then sent to Patiala Court lock-up.
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar sent to Tihar jail (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar in Tihar Jail for 2G scam (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- Composed Kanimozhi appears in court after night in Tihar (Third Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Amid tears, Kanimozhi puts up brave face - Nov 03, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar in custody after bail denied (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar's bail plea order after 2.30 p.m. (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Hopes dashed as Kanimozhi, others denied bail again (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2011
- Kanimozhi is brain behind Kalaignar TV: CBI tells court (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- Karunanidhi to visit daughter in Tihar jail Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail - May 23, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar's bail plea order after 1 p.m. (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- 2G scam: Three accused withdraw bail pleas - Jun 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi in court after spending night in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Kanimozhi relaxed after bail verdict deferred - May 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,