From model to motherhood - Aishwarya’s fairytale journey (With Images)June 25th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) For would-be mommy Aishwarya Rai, it was a fairy tale jouney into the world of glamour after winning the Miss World title in 1994. And now the internationally acclaimed actress is all set to enjoy motherhood.
Ash first became a rage when she teamed up with Aamir Khan and Mahima Chaudhary in a coke ad in 1993. As soon as it hit the screens, Ash became a star and the next year she partcipated in the Miss India contest and won the first runner-up title.
She treaded an extraordinary journey in the world of glitz and glamour - from becoming brand ambassador to international brands like Loreal and Longines, she featured in People magazine’s list of most beautiful people in 2006 and also found a place in Time magazine’s World’s 100 Most Influential People list in 2004 and 2010.
Meanwhile, she shone on the international firmament with films like “Bride and Prejudice” and “Pink Panther 2″ and by becoming a regular at the Cannes red carpet.
Delhi-based fashion designer Kunal Kapoor calls Aishwarya a perfect mix of desi and western looks.
“Aishwarya is one style icon who maintained her charisma from her modelling to films and she is still going strong. She has got an amazing mix of desi and western looks which makes her one of the most beautiful women of the world,” Kapoor told IANS.
Bollywood filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who perhaps gave her the best role in “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam”, not only describes her as a beautiful girl but says “she has a beautiful mind too, a sharp mind and a thinking mind that questions and answers.
“Also, over the years, I feel through her exposure to world cinema as a jury member, going to Cannes, going to various other film festivals, meeting international actors and directors - all that has really made her an evolved person.”
Her cinematic journey started with director Mani Ratnam’s 1997 Tamil hit movie “Iruvar” and in the same year she was introduced to Bollywood by Rahul Rawail with his directorial venture “Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya”. In her more than a decade-long career she came out with hits like “Devdas”, “Dhoom 2″, “Guru” and “Jodhaa Akbar”.
In 2007, when she was the reigning star, Ash announced her engagement to co-star Abhishek Bachchan. On April 20 the same year they tied the knot amidst a lot of media frenzy. After playing a perfect daughter-in-law, Ash is now in the family way and Raveena Tandon says having a happy family was her long cherished dream.
“I remember she and me together on flights, going for concerts, chatting, long hours away, then too she dreamed of a happy settled family life,” said Raveena.
American talk show queen Oprah Winfrey had said: “The movie star couple more famous than anybody else in the world - even more than Brad and Angelina … anybody.”
In 2009, Winfrey had invited both Abhishek and Aishwarya on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and said “India`s Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan have five billion, yes, I said five billion fans around the globe… They are husband and wife, and superstars of Bollywood.”
Currently Ash is shooting for Madhur Bhandarkar’s “Heroine”.
In between she won many honours and titles — Britain’s Hello! Magazine voted her “the most attractive woman of 2003″. In the same year, she appeared on Rolling Stone magazine’s annual “Hot List”. In 2008, US TV channel E!: Entertainment listed Aishwarya’s eyes as the sexiest on their Sexiest Body Parts list.
On the home front, Ash was honoured with Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award, in 2009.
“She is one lady who did everything just perfect. With timeless beauty and elegance, hope she continues her life the way she is doing. Congrats for being mom Aishwarya,” said designer Kapoor.
- Lovely meeting beautiful Bollywooders: Winfrey - Jan 17, 2012
- Oprah drapes sari to meet Ash, Beti B - Jan 16, 2012
- Abhi-Ash to meet Oprah on her maiden India visit - Jan 11, 2012
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Bollywood glitterati gives Winfrey warm welcome in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- India experience was awesome: Winfrey - Jan 29, 2012
- Beti-B on Oprah Winfrey's priority list - Jan 16, 2012
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is pregnant with her first child - Jun 22, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey in Mumbai, to attend private party - Jan 16, 2012
- Aishwarya Rai And Abhishek Bachchan: Bestowed With The Recognition Of 'Power Couple' Title - Jan 24, 2011
- Kareena shows different shades of Bollywood 'heroine' (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Big B turns 'chauffer' for Oprah Winfrey - Jan 17, 2012
- Ash on Oprah, again - Aug 31, 2009
- From showbiz to slums - Winfrey enjoys meeting 'tolerant' talents - Jan 17, 2012
- Slums to royalty: Oprah showcases shades of India (With Images) - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, bride and prejudice, cinematic journey, de chuke, fairy tale, film festivals, glitz and glamour, international actors, international brands, jouney, jury member, kunal kapoor, mahima chaudhary, miss india contest, people magazine, pink panther 2, place in time, red carpet, sanjay leela bhansali, women of the world