Frivolous petitioner told to pay Rs.1 lakhNovember 25th, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Nov 25 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Thursday imposed costs of Rs.1 lakh on an organization for a frivolous plea seeking amendment to the existing laws and demanding a new legislation to protect men from atrocities by their wives.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya and Justice K.M. Thaker imposed the costs on the Akhil Bharatiya Patni Atyachar Virodhi Sangh for filing a frivolous petition aimed at seeking media attention and publicity.
The court also warned Dashrath Devada, president of the organisation, that if the petitioner would continue arguing the matter in court then the costs would be doubled.
The petition filed in public interest claimed that there was an urgent need for protective law for husbands against cruelty by wives. The petition also sought amendment to the existing legal provisions for the purpose.
- Court seeks public apology for defaming women - Mar 11, 2011
- Pay in dollars if plea is found frivolous, court tells NRI - Dec 20, 2010
- Frivolous petitioner told to pay Rs.20,000 to Red Cross - Sep 21, 2010
- Court recalls order of costs for frivolous lawsuit - Feb 04, 2011
- Court questions plea against Ketan Desai - Dec 13, 2010
- Source of Radia tapes' leak unknown, court told - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana judges told to move high court over promotion - May 17, 2012
- Gujarat High Court fines advocate - Jul 12, 2010
- High court pulls up Ahmedabad civic agency - Dec 29, 2010
- Gujarat questioned on rights of displaced villagers - Feb 03, 2011
- High court imposes fine for frivolous PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- Gujarat court penalises insurance firm - Oct 13, 2010
- Review law on property rights: Supreme Court - Sep 30, 2011
- Plea alleging misconduct by Gujarat judge withdrawn - Aug 26, 2010
- Firm fined for misusing court jurisdiction - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: atrocities, chief justice, division bench, gujarat high court, lakh, legal provisions, media attention, new legislation, petition, petitioner, plea, public interest, publicity, rs 1, sangh, thaker