Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killedAugust 7th, 2012 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 7 (IANS) Three people were killed and two injured as fresh violence broke out in Assam’s communally volatile Kokrajhar district, police said Tuesday.
The killings took place Monday night, a day after four bodies were recovered, prompting authorities to impose indefinite curfew in Kokrajhar district and in the Dhubri and Bilasipara subdivisions of Dhubri district.
According to an official, unidentified men killed three people and injured two in the Raanighuli area on the Kokrajhar-Dhubri border Monday night. Indefinite curfew has been imposed in the entire district.
The two injured have been admitted to the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital.
Tension escalated in the Bodoland Territorial Areas District (BTAD) that comprises Kokrajhar, Chirang, Baksa and Udalguri district. Violence between the Bodos and Bengali speaking Muslims killed 56 people in the BTAD area last month, resulting in about 400,000 people being displaced.
On Sunday, four bodies were recovered, two in Kokrajhar and two in Chirang.
Indefinite curfew, which had been in force in Chirang district since Sunday, was Tuesday relaxed from 12 noon to 4 p.m.
A four member team of the National Human Rights Commission is in Kokrajhar to take stock of the relief and rehabilitations measures. The team will visit various relief camps in violence hit areas for the next two days. So far, 116,000 people have returned from relief camps and the administration has been able to close 95 relief camps.
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Assam's Kokrajhar, Dhubri - Aug 26, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Bodo areas calm, rehabilitation starts - Sep 02, 2012
- Central team visits riot-hit Assam areas, reviews security - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: assam, authorities, baksa, bengali, bodos, curfew, district police, entire district, human rights commission, killings, medical college, member team, monday night, muslims, national human rights, national human rights commission, rehabilitations, relief camps, unidentified men, violence