Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in KashmirMarch 26th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 26 (IANS) As fresh snowfall lashed the Ladakh region, the minimum temperature dropped to minus 3.8 degrees Celsius in Kargil town Monday, making it the coldest in Jammu and Kashmir.
“The minimum temperature was minus 3.8 degrees in Kargil town as fresh snowfall occurred in Drass, Zanskar and Leh in the Ladakh region. The minimum temperature was 6.6 in Srinagar, 3.0 in Pahalgam, 2.2 in Gulmarg and 1.0 degrees in Leh today,” said an official of the Met office here.
The Met office has forecast rain and thundershowers at many places in Kashmir Valley during the next 12 hours.
Due to inclement weather, all flights to Leh have been cancelled as scores of tourists are reported to be stranded there.
The Srinagar-Leh highway passes through the Zojila Pass at 3,528 metres above sea level and remains closed for six months a year due to heavy snowfall.
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Srinagar has coldest night so far, further dip forecast - Dec 12, 2011
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Kashmir cold wave continues - Dec 03, 2011
- Hailstorms damage orchards, bring on cold in Kashmir - May 01, 2012
- Kashmir temperatures fall again - Jan 20, 2012
- Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken - Jan 13, 2012
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,