Fresh prosecutor appointed in Shankaracharyas’ caseSeptember 24th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Puducherry, Sep 24 (IANS) Following the Supreme Court orders, the Puducherry government Wednesday appointed a fresh prosecutor to conduct the four-year-old murder case against the two Shankaracharyas of Kanchipuram and others.The pontiffs have been accused of masterminding the killing of temple official A. Shankararaman in September 2003.
Sessions Judge D. Krishnaraja posted the matter to be heard on Oct 24 after all the files were handed over to prosecutor N. Devadass.
Shankaracharyas Jayendra Saraswati and Vijayendra Saraswati were arrested in November 2004 and January 2005 respectively on charges of ordering the murder of the official.
The police official who arrested the pontiffs - Prem Kumar - has since been dismissed from service.
The Supreme Court had transferred the case to Puducherry in 2005 on a plea from the Shankaracharyas.
The appointment of Devadass follows a plea by the junior seer, Vijayendra Saraswati, to change the prosecutor.
Devadass had obtained the acquittal of Puducherry’s present chief minister in a Central Bureau of Investigation case in the ‘nineties.
- Kanchi Sankaracharya denies deal with judge - Aug 26, 2011
- Kanchi seers charged in Shankararaman case (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Dec 18, 2008
- Madras High Court stays trial in Sankararaman murder case - Aug 25, 2011
- Trial of Kanchi seers in Shankararaman murder starts Feb 26 - Jan 09, 2009
- Kanchi Shankaracharyas chargesheeted in Shankararaman case - Dec 18, 2008
- Shankarraman Murder Case: Five more witnesses turn hostile - Apr 22, 2010
- Sankararaman murder: Court tells police to verify tape - Feb 27, 2012
- Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned till June 11 - Apr 28, 2009
- SC allows Kanchi Shankaracharya''s plea for a public prosecutor from Puducherry - Jul 22, 2008
- Seer's plea for prosecutor from Puducherry accepted - Jul 22, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Dec 18, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Nov 21, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Oct 24, 2008
- Pondicherry court to hear Sankaraman murder case today - Dec 30, 2008
- Mudslinging over Madurai 'mutt' appointment - May 14, 2012