Fresh gas leakage from Bengal factory triggers panicJanuary 1st, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 1 (IANS) Fresh emission of ammonia gas from a West Bengal ice factory where one person was killed and 20 fell ill after inhaling poisonous gas a day ago triggered panic, leading to an angry demonstration by locals who demanded that the unit be closed, police said Saturday.”Two fire tenders were pressed into service to cool down the ammonia gas. One person fell ill,” Barrackpore Sub-divisional Police Officer Ajoy Pal said.
“Experts from fire and emergency services department yesterday (Friday) sealed the leaking cylinder and assured there will be no further leakage. But since today (Saturday) morning, gas has started leaking from the unit again,” he said.
“We have cordoned off the area and blocked a part of the Barrackpore-Barasat highway,” he added.
Local residents put up a road block and demanded the closure of the factory in North 24 Parganas district. District administration officials and police officers managed to pacify them after much effort.
Experts from the state Pollution Control Board (PCB) and fire services department will look into the reason for the fresh leakage, Pal said.
The PCB team, after inspecting the factory in Barrackpore, decided to issue a closure notice as the unit has released ammonia gas into the atmosphere beyond the permissible limit which has caused a death.
“We have to find out whether the factory has the PCB clearance. The factory has to be closed. And we will file a case against the owner,” PCB law officer Biswajit Mukherjee said.
The owners of the factory and the factory inspector, appointed by the state factory directorate to monitor the status of the unit, are absconding, police said.
- One dead, 10 ill after ammonia cylinder bursts (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Gas leak in Mathura, hundreds evacuated - Aug 08, 2012
- 11 taken ill after cylinder bursts in Kolkata ice-making factory - Dec 31, 2010
- Two treated in Agra after gas leak - Nov 15, 2011
- Ammonia leak: Disaster averted in Agartala - Apr 19, 2012
- Haryana orders probe into Hisar gas leak - May 16, 2010
- 14 hospitalised after gas leakage in Bulgaria - Dec 17, 2011
- Formalim leak forces evacuation of hospital - Mar 27, 2012
- Major fire in Moradabad brassware factory, no casualty - Jan 13, 2011
- Over 200 people ill after ammonia leak in China - Aug 05, 2009
- Chlorine gas leak detected on time, says Chemfab Alkalis - Jan 29, 2011
- Three die of gas leak in Uttar Pradesh, enquiry ordered (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 50 fall ill after gas leaks in Mumbai - Jul 14, 2010
- Three die in Uttar Pradesh gas leak, factory owner booked (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Three die of gas leak in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: administration officials, ajoy, ammonia gas, closure notice, demonstration, district administration, emergency services department, fire and emergency services, fire services department, fire tenders, gas leakage, locals, pcb, poisonous gas, police officer, police officers, pollution control board, saturday morning, state pollution control board, west bengal