Freedom fighter, wife end fast after pension assuranceNovember 9th, 2011 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Nov 9 (IANS) A 99-year-old freedom fighter and his 86-year-old wife ended their indefinite hunger strike here after the government assured them of old age pension and initiating steps for him to receive pension for taking part in the independence struggle.
Cheddi Ram and his 86-year-old wife Chamni Devi from Godda district, 500 km from Ranchi, went on an indefinite hunger strike near Raj Bhavan Saturday. He claimed that he actively participated in the Quit India Movement but wasn’t accorded a pension despite efforts since 1981.
He was forcefully lifted from the strike place Monday and shifted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Science’s (RIMS) ICU in Ranchi.
Ranchi district administration Tuesday took steps to end his fast. Sub Divisional Officer Shekhar Jamuar met the couple in RIMS and persuaded them to end the hunger strike. The elderly couple ended their fast by taking a sip of juice from him.
Jamuar facilitated the couple to speak to the deputy commissioner of Godda district who assured them that they would start getting old age pension.
Arun Pandey of the Jharkhand unit of the National Senior Citizens Forum told IANS: “The couple ended their fast after assurances given by the district administration. The administration has assured to start old age pension and initiate steps to get him freedom fighter pension.”
The couple had said Saturday that they were trying to get pension since 1981.
“On Oct 13, we informed the governor, chief minister, chief secretary and others that we would sit on indefinite hunger strike if our demand for pension was not cleared by Oct 30,” Ram said.
Any person who had fought for the freedom of the country is entitled to a monthly pension of Rs.3,000 after authorities have verified the genuineness of the claim.
- 99-year-old on hunger strike for freedom fighter's pension - Nov 05, 2011
- Munda appeals to Marandi to end hunger strike - May 05, 2011
- Punjab MP ends fast after Badal assurance - May 06, 2011
- Fast, demonstrations across Orissa for Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Vidarbha legislator ends 7-day fast - Nov 20, 2011
- Marandi ends hunger strike - May 08, 2011
- Lesser-known Annas also fast across the country - Aug 25, 2011
- Hegde urges Hazare to end fast but continue agitation - Aug 25, 2011
- Support goes up for Anna in scam-hit Jharkhand - Aug 21, 2011
- Police end Congress Telangana leader's hunger strike - Nov 06, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Protest against land acquisition in Jharkhand turns violent - Jul 05, 2012
- Anna writes to PM complaining of Delhi Police restrictions - Aug 13, 2011
- Abducted intelligence officer's wife threatens hunger strike - Jan 14, 2011
- Pensioners block highway in Haryana - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: chief minister, chief secretary, deputy commissioner, district administration, divisional officer, elderly couple, freedom fighter, genuineness, indefinite hunger strike, independence struggle, india movement, medical science, national senior citizens, oct 30, old age pension, old wife, raj bhavan, ranchi district, rims, senior citizens forum