Free eye camp blindings: Minister promises action

August 25th, 2008 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS  

Perambalur (Tamil Nadu), Aug 25 (IANS) State health minister M.R.K. Panneerselvam and transport minister K.N. Nehru told reporters Monday that those guilty of blinding the poor here will “certainly be punished”.The ministers offered solace to over 20 people who claimed they had lost their eyesight after they took part in a free eye camp conducted by a private hospital in late July.

“We have been told that some of the medicines used post-surgery were past the expiry date and have ordered an investigation by Dr Balasubramanian, the dean of the government medical college in Tiruchirappalli,” Panneerselvam said.

“Those found guilty of negligence and instrumental in the poor losing their eyesight will certainly be punished,” the minister added.

The kin of persons whose vision had been impaired after surgeries blocked traffic on the highway 275 km south of capital Chennai and stoned Joseph Eye Hospital here Sunday.

Official sources had told IANS Sunday that preliminary enquiries revealed at least 8 people had lost their eyesight.

No arrests have been made so far.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |