Fraud case launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic projectsAugust 9th, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The investigation of the first fraud case over the finances of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics has been completed and will soon go to court, the Russian Interior Ministry said Thursday.
The ministry press centre said criminal proceedings were initiated in June over an attempted embezzlement of public funds.
“One case concerns the construction of an Olympic bobsleigh run,” the press service said, adding that a group of executives from the Mostovik construction firm had attempted to pocket 2.5 billion rubles by inflating construction costs.
Another case involved an attempted misappropriation of 5.6 billion rubles from the central stadium project.
Besides, there are several ongoing investigations into possible fraud and cost overruns, including an ice palace for figure skating and hockey whose budget has expanded from the original 5.6 billion rubles to 9.6 billion.
- Olympic boxing: Shimizu and Alvarez claim bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Ex-chiefs of Bank of Moscow face theft charge - Feb 22, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Russia earns first medal in women's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Gold for Canada's MacLennan in trampoline - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Sochi Winter Olympics preparations are on, says Putin - May 12, 2012
- Chinese firm to invest $3 bn in Russian resorts - Jun 06, 2012
- Russian Winter Olympic mascots to appear on coins - Feb 22, 2012
- Russian ex-lawmaker put on Interpol wanted list for fraud - May 19, 2011
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- Olympic equestrian: Germany retain team eventing gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Del Potro takes bronze in men's singles - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic sailing: New Zealand snatches gold in women's 470 - Aug 10, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: 2014 olympic, 2014 winter olympics, case concerns, construction costs, construction firm, criminal proceedings, dg, embezzlement, fraud case, investigations, misappropriation, moscow, olympic projects, olympics, overruns, ria novosti, rubles, russian interior ministry, sochi 2014, winter olympics