France’s burqa ban is Britain’s gain (Lead)July 27th, 2011 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) The burqa ban in France has sent wealthy shoppers from the Middle East flocking to London.
London store Liberty has notched up a 45 percent increase of international visitors while Selfridges has seen a rise of 40 percent, the Daily Express reported.
Popular toy store Hamleys has also seen a “significant increase” in customers.
The number of shoppers is expected to rise as a whole by 15 percent after French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the burqa was “not welcome” in France. Anyone wearing it there now risks a 150 euro fine.
Jace Tyrell, of promoters New West End Company, said Middle East shoppers from places such as the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia were critical to London’s retailers.
“London is seen as welcoming, friendly and accommodating,” he said.
Neil Cook, of Qatar-based Gulf Times, said the Arab uprisings were also prompting a rise in foreign tourists to Britain.
“There is some kind of backlash against the burqa ban. People are more comfortable with London. Also, many who would go to Beirut, Syria and other north African destinations are not choosing to travel there at the moment,” he said.
- France's burqa ban is Britain's gain - Jul 27, 2011
- Can the burqa coexist with the bikini? - Mar 19, 2011
- Al-Jazeera English wins top journalism award for coverage of Middle East unrest - May 05, 2011
- Syria says it won't go the Libya way - Apr 22, 2012
- India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan success - Apr 13, 2012
- Only inclusive dialogue can lead to peace in Syria : UN chief - Apr 27, 2011
- Trend to wear undies outside sends nipple covers sales soaring in UK! - Feb 02, 2010
- Mid-East crisis: Clinton backs Al-Jazeera, criticizes US media in Senate - Mar 05, 2011
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- 'Spielberg banned in Middle East after Israel war donation' - Dec 18, 2010
- UN chief asks Syria to end violence before 300 monitors arrive - Apr 27, 2012
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- 'Britain must ban burqa to beat terrorism' - Oct 16, 2010
- Is revolution possible in a Shellfare society? (Comment) - Mar 27, 2011
- BRICS says dialogue only answer for Syria, Iran - Mar 29, 2012