‘France ready to help Bangladesh build nuclear power station’November 2nd, 2008 - 7:59 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Nov 2 (Xinhua) France’s envoy to Dhaka Charley Causeret has said that his country was ready to help build a nuclear power station in Bangladesh. “Bangladesh can benefit from France’s expertise to initiate a nuclear power policy,” he said at a seminar titled ‘Power Sector Management: Bangladesh Perspective’ held here Saturday.
The offer came at a time when Bangladesh is experiencing huge power shortage that consumes almost two percent of the country’s GDP growth (gross domestic product).
M. Tamim, special assistant to chief adviser for Bangladesh’s power and energy ministry, emphasised the need for improving management of the power sector and urged politicians to evolve a strategy for the purpose.
Currently, Bangladesh generates about 3,600 MW power against a demand for over 5,000 MW. To mitigate the crisis, the government has been considering various options, including setting up of nuclear and coal-based power plants.
The country has already obtained a positive nod from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in this regard.
- IAEA to help Bangladesh build N-power plant - Dec 13, 2010
- Bangladesh signs nuclear power deal with Russia - Feb 25, 2011
- India aims at over 50,000 MW of nuclear power by 2030 - Aug 25, 2011
- Going nuclear is a 100-year commitment: IAEA official - Oct 19, 2010
- India committed to nuclear safety, says AEC chief - Sep 20, 2012
- With atomic regulator's nod, Kudankulam reactor being fuelled (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India plans power lines via Bangladesh - Jan 02, 2011
- National Aluminium on a major diversification drive: Chairman - Jul 28, 2011
- South Africa to expand local businesses with n-power capacity - Apr 27, 2012
- Pakistan to build more n-plants: Gilani - Jun 28, 2011
- Bangladesh to sign n-power pact with Russia - May 14, 2010
- IAEA team to review nuclear crisis in Japan - May 17, 2011
- NTPC mulls stakes in two Indonesian coal mines - Aug 30, 2010
- AERB clears fuel loading in Kudankulam nuclear reactor - Aug 10, 2012
- 'Pact with France soon for Jaitapur nuclear plants' - Jun 16, 2012