France offers to mediate in Ecuador-Colombia rowJuly 18th, 2008 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Quito (Ecuador), July 18 (Xinhua) France is willing to mediate for resumption of diplomatic ties between Ecuador and Colombia, the French ambassador to Ecuador has said. “My country is ready to contribute to the re-establishment of diplomatic ties between Ecuador and Colombia, if an official request is made in that sense,” Didier Lopinot told local Radio Quito Thursday.
Lopinot also said that this decision should be taken by Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa, who has indefinitely postponed the re-establishment of ties with Colombia.
Quito severed diplomatic ties with Bogota in March after Colombian military crossed the Ecuadorian border to attack a camp of the rebel Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
The Ecuadorian president has ruled out a re-establishment of ties “until there is a decent government (in Colombia) to hold dialogue with.”
The Ecuadorian reaction came after Colombia postponed the resumption of ties with Quito because of “aggressive” remarks by Correa in a newspaper interview last month.
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
- Ecuador, Colombia to restore ties - Nov 14, 2009
- South American nations upset over US plans for Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombians arrested over plans to kill Ecuadorian President Correa - Jun 14, 2008
- Colombia freezes plan to resume relations with Ecuador - Jun 25, 2008
- Betancourt urges Lula to help Colombia mend diputes with neighbours - Jul 10, 2008
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Marijuana worth $2 mn seized in Colombia - Jan 23, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Ecuador expels US ambassador - Apr 06, 2011
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- Time needed to restore ties with Colombia: Ecuador - Mar 09, 2008