France confirms intention to bid for Euro 2016February 14th, 2009 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Feb 14 (DPA) The French Football Federation (FFF) has confirmed that it intends to bid for the right to host Euro 2016.
In a statement posted on the FFF’s website Friday, the federation said a confirmation letter would be sent European football’s governing body UEFA before the application deadline of March 9.
“We are going into to this with the objective of winning,” said FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes.
It had been rumoured that France would look to co-host the event with Italy but the FFF have plumped instead for a solo bid.
France will likely face competition from Greece and Turkey as well as a joint bid from Wales and Scotland. It is expected that either Sweden or Norway will also look to host the event.
The last major tournament hosted by France was the 1998 World Cup, which the country went on to win.
However, a major revamp of France’s aging stadium infrastructure would be needed if the bid is to be successful.
“Our bid as a good answer to the (financial) crisis,” explained football league (LFP) president Frederic Thiriez, who expects future construction projects to create 15,000 jobs between 2010 and 2014.
UEFA will announce the host of Euro 2016 in the spring of 2011. Euro 2012 takes place in Poland and Ukraine.
- France chosen to host Euro 2016 - May 28, 2010
- French football federation head resigns after World Cup fiasco - Jun 28, 2010
- Deschamps is new France coach - Jul 09, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- Germany not to bid for Euro 2020 - Apr 28, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- FIFA warns French government against meddling in football - Jun 26, 2010
- England play Norway, Belgium before Euro 2012 games - Jan 06, 2012
- Georgia submits formal bid for 2020 Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012 ticket design unveiled in Ukraine - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: application deadline, body uefa, co host, confirmation letter, construction projects, euro 2012, euro 2016, feb 14, fff, financial crisis, football league, frederic thiriez, french football federation, future construction, good answer, governing body, intention, jean pierre, lfp, world cup