France confirms intention to bid for Euro 2016February 14th, 2009 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Feb 14 (DPA) The French Football Federation (FFF) has confirmed that it intends to bid for the right to host Euro 2016.
In a statement posted on the FFF’s website Friday, the federation said a confirmation letter would be sent European football’s governing body UEFA before the application deadline of March 9.
“We are going into to this with the objective of winning,” said FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes.
It had been rumoured that France would look to co-host the event with Italy but the FFF have plumped instead for a solo bid.
France will likely face competition from Greece and Turkey as well as a joint bid from Wales and Scotland. It is expected that either Sweden or Norway will also look to host the event.
The last major tournament hosted by France was the 1998 World Cup, which the country went on to win.
However, a major revamp of France’s aging stadium infrastructure would be needed if the bid is to be successful.
“Our bid as a good answer to the (financial) crisis,” explained football league (LFP) president Frederic Thiriez, who expects future construction projects to create 15,000 jobs between 2010 and 2014.
UEFA will announce the host of Euro 2016 in the spring of 2011. Euro 2012 takes place in Poland and Ukraine.