Frame rape charges against Dera chief: courtJuly 26th, 2008 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Ambala (Haryana), July 26 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court here Saturday ordered that rape charges be framed against controversial Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh. The special court judge has asked the Dera chief to be present in court during the next hearing Aug 23 for the charges to be framed.
The sect chief is facing charges of raping a “sadhvi” (religious follower) at his sprawling sect campus on the outskirts of Sirsa town in Haryana five years ago.
The CBI has been investigating the case for some time now and had been seeking the court’s permission to frame charges.
The sect chief, who has been attending court hearings here in the last few months, was not present in the court Saturday when the judge ordered that the rape charges be framed against him.
The CBI is investigating two more charges against the sect chief for involvement in the murder conspiracy of a journalist and also a Dera follower and his former driver.
The arguments in the murder case are still on in the special CBI court here.
The sect chief, who enjoys Z-plus security cover from the Haryana police and also has his own private security around him at all times, has been involved in a controversy with the Sikh community after he attired himself like 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh, during a religious ceremony last year.
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Charges framed against Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief - Sep 06, 2008
- Dera chief fails to appear in sex case hearing - Aug 23, 2008
- CBI court frames murder charges against Dera chief - Dec 12, 2008
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Transfer move of Dera chief's cases opposed - Aug 22, 2008
- Charged with murder, rape, Dera chief's support sought for polls - May 04, 2009