Fourth suicide at Delhi Metro premises in 6 days (Lead)May 8th, 2012 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) A 22-year-old youth committed suicide by jumping from an elevated Delhi Metro station here Tuesday, police said, in the fourth such incident on the network in six days.
Anil Kumar, a resident of JJ Colony in Okhla, met his death at the Govind Puri station in south Delhi around 11.30 a.m.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead. The reason for his suicide is not known.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Railways) B.S. Gurjar told IANS: “Kumar was standing on the platform. Suddenly he came on to the terrace and leapt onto the road.”
The spate of suicides on Metro stations has led its officials to seek help from the commuters.
“We (DMRC) are extremely concerned about the suicides taking place at the metro premises. We appeal to passengers to be alert and stop any fellow passenger by keeping a close watch on the behavioural patterns of the people around them, and alert metro or security staff to thwart any suspected attempt,” Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
“Following the increasing attempts (of suicide), DMRC managing director Mangu Singh has asked to survey all the elevated Metro stations with the intention of raising the level of the station platform railings. At present the platform railings are three-and-half feet high which are likely to be increased to five feet,” he added.
Delhi Metro makes over 2400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days.
- Girl commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Mar 25, 2012
- Book on Delhi Metro's success story - May 16, 2012
- Height of Metro platform railings raised to check suicides - Jul 26, 2012
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Angst plus stress equals more suicides at Metro stations - Mar 13, 2012
- Metro to alert passengers on approaching trains - Jan 30, 2012
- Woman falls from Metro station platform, injured (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Delhi Metro has a Rs.15,000 crore debt - Feb 14, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi Metro completes 100 months of operations - Apr 24, 2011
- Delhi Metro to induct 8-coach trains on two busy corridors - May 02, 2012
- Joyride in Metro for young cancer patients - Jul 12, 2011
- Sreedharan inspects metro extension to Ghaziabad - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: behavioural patterns, close watch, commissioner of police, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, deputy commissioner, fellow passenger, five feet, gurjar, metro station, metro stations, railings, railways, security staff, six days, south delhi, spate, station platform, suicides