Four-year-old Malaysian to climb Eiffel Tower - five timesAugust 27th, 2008 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Aug 27 (IANS) Touted as Malaysia’s youngest tower climber, four-year-old Muhammad Syahrulnizam Mohammed Noor is training hard to climb the steps of the 325m-high Eiffel Tower five times this December.Guiding him in this venture is his father Mohammed Noor Mat Amin, a senior photographer with a Malay daily, who is himself climbing staircases of the country’s famous sky-scrapers to find a place in the Guinness Book of Records.
The son carved his name in the Malaysia Book of Records this year when he became the youngest climber to go up KL Tower in Kuala Lumpur on June 6.
The father-son duo are expected to leave for France in November for a two-week training stint in Paris before tackling the Eiffel Tower, the New Straits Times said Wednesday.
“Well, he has been attending quite difficult training sessions and has shown no signs of quitting,” a proud Mohammed Noor, 41, said here.
“I am confident that my son will make it to the top and we will fly the Malaysian flag from the top of the tower,” he said.
Both climbed 432 steps up the newly opened 19-storey Felda Residence Hotel here over two days last weekend.
They climbed the stairs 51 times, to match the years of the nation’s independence.
Malaysia’s Independence Day falls Aug 30.
Their campaign is part of the Merdeka (freedom) Climb 2008 campaign.
As part of his feat, Mohd Noor has climbed the staircases of Pelita Tower in Sarawak, Tun Mustapha Tower in Sabah, and Alor Star Tower in Kedah, an astonishing 51 times each.
On Wednesday, the Terengganu-born mountain climber who was part of the successful 1997 Malaysia-Everest Expedition, will complete the fifth leg of his nationwide feat by repeatedly climbing the stairs of the Kuala Lumpur Tower, one of the world’s tallest.
“Both of us have the stamina to complete the climb as I make it a daily routine to climb several flights of stairs at our apartment block in Kuala Lumpur,” Mohd Noor said.
“Syahrulnizam has yet to complain of aches or cramps,” the father was quoted as saying by the Star.
- Man, 42, to climb Mount Kinabalu 111 times! - Jan 01, 2010
- French 'Spiderman' held for scaling Sydney skyscraper - Aug 30, 2010
- French spiderman foiled in attempt to scale Sydney skyscraper - Jun 01, 2010
- 9-yr-old Nepalese boy may be the youngest Everest climber - Nov 08, 2010
- Malaysian Indian walks 44 km backward to create record - Apr 20, 2011
- 'French Spiderman' in a net for climbing Sydney's Lumiere building - Aug 30, 2010
- French 'Spiderman' scales Malaysia's twin towers - Sep 01, 2009
- Eiffel Tower steps up for grabs! - Dec 11, 2009
- French 'Spiderman' scales world's tallest tower in Dubai - Mar 29, 2011
- Nepal's 9-yr-old to defy age bar for Everest record - Nov 05, 2010
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Man jumps to death from Eiffel Tower - Jun 25, 2012
- American schoolboy youngest to conquer Everest at 13 - May 22, 2010
- Malaysian police detains 'Spiderman' - Sep 01, 2009
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011