Four shepherd girls drown in Tamil Nadu villageOctober 2nd, 2008 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
Perambalur (Tamil Nadu), Oct 2 (IANS) Four girls, aged between 7 and 11 and belonging to a shepherd community, drowned in an open well Thursday in a village near here, an official said.”Amsavalli, a 9-year-old girl, strayed too close to an open well as she chased her sheep that were going astray. She fell in and cried for help. Three of her friends in the same age group tried to save her by jumping in and were drowned too,” a police official said.
“We face chronic water shortage throughout the year. A few showers filled up a few wells and our cup of misery as well,” N. Narayanan, 26, who tried to save the children in vain, told reporters.
Situated 300 km south of state capital Chennai, the water-bodies here are usually dry throughout the year due to lack of rainfall. The scant groundwater has been polluted by discharge of effluents from nearby industries that include a public sector paper mill. The region had experienced decent rainfall this year.
- Former DMK legislator arrested for rape, murder - Jul 14, 2012
- Disabled man rescues girl from well - Dec 29, 2011
- Severe winter forces Himachal's tribal shepherds to migrate - Dec 16, 2010
- 40 percent rainwater lost in Goa: Study - Aug 12, 2011
- India's groundwater resource depletion alarming: World Bank - Mar 05, 2010
- Water supplies may run out by 2030 - Jan 11, 2012
- Jharkhand stares at harsh summer as water sources shrink - Mar 16, 2011
- Four of a family drown in pond - Sep 21, 2010
- Prince William saves drowning girl - Aug 17, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- No recognition for Agra lifeguard who saved 50 lives (With Image) - May 23, 2012
- 11 students drowned in China - Jun 10, 2012
- Woman, three kids drowned - Sep 12, 2010
- Britain mulls hosepipe ban - Feb 20, 2012
- China drought causes water shortage - Jan 12, 2012