Four selected for Tenzing Norgay AwardAugust 12th, 2011 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) The sports ministry Friday selected four from adventure sports for the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award.
Reena Kaushal Dharmshaktu, Mamta Sodha, Dilip Donde and the late Balwant Singh Sandhu have been named for this year’s award.
Reena became the first Indian woment to ski 900 km, from coast of Antarctica to the South Pole. She did some high altitude trekking in the Pindari Valley, Milam Valley and Ralam Valley while working as an instructor.
Sodha scaled Mount Everest in 2010. Among other peaks she summitted are Island Peak (20589 ft), Shri Kanth Peak (20422 ft), Mun Peak (16000 ft), Phawara Rang Peak (21441 ft). She has also climbed Mount Everest- Eco Expedition- 29038 ft.
Donde has sailed solo on INSV Mhadei undertaking solo circumnavigation of the earth round the “Three Great Capes” in 273 days, which is a significant and rare achievement. He is the first Indian to circumnavigate the earth solo and under sails and 175th person in the world to achieve this feat.
Sandhu also had an excellent record and will be awarded for life time achievement. He was a devoted mountaineer and had actively encouraged young people to the outdoor adventure. He was instrumental in introduction of IMF Annual Alpine Style climbing camps and continued to oversee these till the last.
Sandhu had climbed and trekked for over 50 years in most ranges of the Himalayas, made the most number of first ascents of difficult peaks, including the first ascents of Changabanga (6,870m) in Garhwal Himalaya in 1974, and of Phawara Rang (6,570m) in Spiti in 1977.
- Indian Everest dreams soar to record high in 2011 - Feb 04, 2011
- Assam mountaineer set to scale Mount Everest - Mar 23, 2012
- First woman from India's northeast conquers Everest - May 11, 2011
- Indian set to reach halfway point of solo sailing adventure - Jan 10, 2010
- Mother of two becomes oldest Indian woman to climb Everest (with Image) - May 20, 2011
- Indian schoolboy rewrites history on the Himalayas - May 20, 2011
- Navy's 'Mhadei' to sail non-stop from Goa to Cape Town - Nov 24, 2010
- Forget Indian Idol, Arunachal has Everest Idols (With Images) - Jul 08, 2011
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011
- Dilip Donde is first Indian to sail solo around the world - May 22, 2010
- First Bangladeshi woman to climb Everest - May 19, 2012
- Bachendri Pal's brother, 2 others scale Mt. Everest (With Images) - May 26, 2012
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- India's youngest Everest hero now an author - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: adventure award, adventure sports, alpine style, ascents, balwant singh, capes, high altitude, himalayas, island peak, life time achievement, milam, mount everest, outdoor adventure, rare achievement, singh sandhu, solo circumnavigation, south pole, spiti, sports ministry, tenzing norgay