Four sailors die aboard South Korean ship off Indian coastFebruary 14th, 2009 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu), Feb 13 (IANS) Four foreign sailors on board a South Korean freighter off the Tamil Nadu coast died of food poisoning while two were admitted to a government hospital here Friday evening, an official said.
“An SOS message was received from the vessel 16 nautical miles off the coast. A Coast Guard vessel was rushed with doctors and paramedics. Four sailors were dead, while two were seriously ill,” a health official said on condition of anonymity.
The identity and nationality of the victims could not be immediately ascertained.
“Post-mortems are being performed on the dead, the two seriously ill are undergoing treatment in the government hospital in Nagercoil,” the official said.
“From preliminary examinations it seems the deaths were due to food poisoning. The liner, carrying cattle feed from Mumbai, had a crew of 20. Of these 14 sailors are being treated on board,” the official added.
Situated at the tip of the subcontinent, Kanyakumari is some 700 km south of Tamil Nadu capital Chennai.
- Two shot dead by Italian ship personnel, Kerala announces relief - Feb 16, 2012
- Two die in Italian ship firing, India summons envoy (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Five migrants found dead in boat near Italy - Mar 17, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard rescue two Australian sailors - Oct 19, 2011
- No laxity, only cautious steps in Italian ship shooting: Chandy - Feb 18, 2012
- Outrage as two Indians die in Italian ship firing (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Indian Navy saves Chinese ship from pirates (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Two killed by Italian ship personnel, envoy summoned (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates, shot dead - Feb 16, 2012
- Fishermen's killing: Two crewmen brought ashore, Italians told to cooperate (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Ten killed in freighter fire off Venezuela - Dec 27, 2009
- No decision on arresting Italian ship's crew: Kerala Police - Feb 17, 2012
- Italian ship owners agree to cooperate in probe: Kerala Police (Night Lead) - Feb 18, 2012