Four races in Paralympic marathonSeptember 8th, 2012 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 8 (IANS) London Paralympics’ organising committee director Debbie Jevans said that there will be four races in Sunday’s Paralympic marathon here.
“We have four races, three men and one woman. They comprise the men’s T12, which is for visually impaired athletes, and we have 19 entries across 13 countries and regions. We then have the men’s T46, which is for amputees, and that’s 11 entries across eight countries and regions,” Jevans said Friday, reports Xinhua.
“Then we have the men and women’s T54, which is wheelchair marathon, and for the men we have 32 entries from 13 countries and regions and for the women 12 entries across six countries and regions,” he added.
“We’ll start on Sunday at eight o’clock with the men’s T12 and T46, and we actually start those races at the same time. The reason for that is that the fastest runners across both events are of a very similar standard, and the athletes wear different coloured bibs so you can distinguish between the two.”
On changes to the marathon route from the Olympic Games, Jevans said: “There is no turn on Westminster Bridge, and we’ve also amended the route slightly around Leadenhall Market, to ensure we avoid the cobblestones in that area.”
- Olympic mountain bike course changed - Apr 05, 2012
- China gets 300th gold in Paralympic history - Sep 07, 2012
- Brazilian sprinters break records in Paralympics - Sep 03, 2012
- Defeated Pistorius questions rules - Sep 03, 2012
- Kenyans dominate Nagpur marathon - Jan 30, 2011
- Paraplegic Deepa aims for medal at World Games - Dec 02, 2011
- 136 elite athletes for world 10K Run - May 23, 2012
- Oscar Pistorious' inspirational photo doing the rounds - Aug 07, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Mumbai Marathon: A carnival on the streets of Bollywood country (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Mexico City marathon attracts 18,000 runners - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi ready for half marathon, 2009 champion Merga pulls out - Nov 20, 2010
- Istanbul holds world's only intercontinental marathon - Oct 16, 2011
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- 10,000 run in Maharashtra marathon for girl child - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: amputees, bibs, cobblestones, committee director, director debbie, four races, leadenhall market, marathon london, marathon route, o clock, olympic games, organising committee, paralympics, runners, t12, t54, three men, westminster bridge, wheelchair marathon, xinhua