Four prisoners attempt suicideOctober 22nd, 2011 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 22 (IANS) Four prisoners attempted suicide by drinking poison in Jharkhand’s Gumla district jail Saturday, police sources said. However, jail authorities maintained they fell ill after taking some medicine.
According to sources, the four consumed soft drinks mixed with poison, which they managed to smuggle inside. They were then rushed to a hospital in Gumla, some 130 km from here, and are presently out of danger.
The inmates have been identified as Jitia Oraon, Gansu Gope, Raj Kumar Sahu and Parmeshwar Gupta. While Gupta is accused of rape, the rest are named in murder cases.
The jail administration, however, denied the suicide theory.
“The prisoners were suffering from itching. They consumed a medicine by mixing it with mustard oil,” a Gumla jail official told IANS.
- 10 Ranchi jail staffers suspended for prisoners' death - Jun 06, 2011
- Maoists kill three of rival group - Jun 06, 2011
- Brother kills family for practising witchcraft - Oct 28, 2011
- Three prisoners die mysteriously - Jun 05, 2011
- Tihar warms up to its inmates - Dec 24, 2011
- Nine killed in Jharkhand, chief minister denies lawlessness (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Three criminals lynched in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2012
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Maoists kill father, son in Jharkhand - Sep 06, 2010
- Maoists kill groom, four more (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Probe into 'shootout' on Ranchi outskirts - Aug 14, 2009
- Tihar inmates celebrate Holi - Mar 20, 2011
- Raksha Bandhan celebrated at Tihar - Aug 13, 2011
- Raja, Kalmadi, Kanimozhi at Tihar I-Day event - Aug 15, 2011
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: attempt suicide, district jail, gupta, inmates, jail administration, jail authorities, jharkhand, medicine, murder cases, mustard oil, oraon, poison, police sources, prisoners, raj kumar, rape, sahu, soft drinks, suicide theory