Four policemen injured in ambush by Garo rebelsDecember 20th, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Dec 20 (IANS) Four policemen were injured after they were ambushed by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels in western Meghalaya, a police official said.
The police personnel of the Meghalaya Police’s 5th Battalion were attacked at Rongreng Baiza forest reserve in East Garo Hills district, Inspector General of Police (Western Range) G.H.P. Raju told IANS.
“GNLA’s ambush was retaliatory attacks against us (police) after they lost two of their men Sunday in a gunbattle with security forces at Darimgre forests,” he said.
He said the rebels fled from the site after the police personnel retaliated. “We have launched a an operation to track the rebels who are still holed up in the forest,” Raju said.
Meanwhile, security forces Tuesday rescued coal merchant, Biren Marak, who was abducted by the GNLA rebels from Gambigre area under West Garo Hills district Tuesday.
The GNLA, a rebel outfit fighting for separate Garoland has unleashed a reign of terror in Gar has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in the western part of Meghalaya.
- Policeman and daughter shot at - Dec 03, 2011
- Four GNLA rebels killed in Meghalaya - Aug 09, 2011
- Two Garo militants killed in Meghalaya - Dec 18, 2011
- Kidnapped engineers untraced, GNLA chief escapes (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Three Garo rebels surrender in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2011
- Hunt on for Meghalaya rebels behind police killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted official - Nov 22, 2011
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
- Sangma asks Garo rebels to surrender arms - Feb 08, 2012
- 'Link between Meghalaya rebel group, student activists' - Sep 04, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Meghalaya rebel commander killed - Oct 18, 2011
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- Rebels kill policeman, injure three in Meghalaya - May 30, 2012
Tags: abducted, ambush, biren, coal merchant, east garo hills, forest reserve, garo hills district, gunbattle, marak, meghalaya, national liberation army, police official, policemen, raju, rebels, reign of terror, security forces, shillong, west garo hills, west garo hills district