Four of a family killed near AgraMay 24th, 2011 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, May 24 (IANS) Four people of a family - husband, wife and two children - were killed by a gang of unidentified men in the Fatehpur Sikri area near Agra in the early hours of Tuesday, police said here. Only the youngest child survived.
The family was attacked with axes, hand-pump rods and hammers at a road-side eatery in Jajau village close to the national highway, a police official said.
Thousands of angry villagers blocked the Agra-Jaipur highway for several hours till Deputy Inspector General of Police Aseem Arun and other senior officials reached the site and pacified them.
Rakesh Choudhary, 35, who ran the Namaskar dhaba-cum-restaurant on the national highway to Jaipur, wife Gudda Devi, 30, and two children - Akash, 10, and Dolly, 5 - were beaten to death with iron pipes, according to the official.
Two-year-old Rohit escaped the attack since he was away at his aunt’s place, the official added.
Police said the motive was not clear as valuables, including jewellery, were not missing. There is also suspicion that it could be a revenge attack over some old dispute.
A newspaper hawker was the first to reach the spot in the morning and see blood stains outside the restaurant. He informed the police.
The scene of the crime is not far away from a police picket, villagers said.
The protesters, who blocked the traffic, were angry with the delayed respone from the police, who, they said, took more than three hours to reach the spot.
Following protests, Sudhir Kumar, head of Fatehpur Sikri police station, was transferred.
Aseem Arun told reporters that the notorious Bawaria gang is suspected to be behind the attack.
Police in nearby Bharatpur, Mathura and Dholpur areas have been alerted, he said.
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012
- Mother, daughter found dead near rail track - Nov 22, 2011
- Dalit killed in clashes between protesters, police - Dec 30, 2011
- Pilgrims' progress begins to Rajasthan's Kumbh Mela - Apr 11, 2011
- Anger, concern after dog bites at Fatehpuri Sikri (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Lucky escape for 25 kids in school bus accident (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Chopper over Taj causes flutter, ASI files complaint - Dec 16, 2011
- Mad dog bites foreign tourists at Fatehpur Sikri - Mar 24, 2011
- Two killed, seven injured in Agra truck crash - May 11, 2012
- Sarkozy, Bruni spend an hour at Fatehpur Sikri (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Agra promises a better deal for tourists - Aug 07, 2011
- Italian tourist killed in road accident - Dec 04, 2010
- Sarkozy, Bruni to visit Agra - Dec 04, 2010
- Agra rocked by spate of looting, shooting, killing - Feb 13, 2012
- Farmers' stir: More forces deployed in Agra - May 09, 2011
Tags: akash, angry villagers, arun, aseem, attack police, bawaria, blood stains, deputy inspector general, dholpur, fatehpur sikri, iron pipes, mathura, namaskar, police official, pump rods, respone, revenge attack, rohit, scene of the crime, unidentified men