Four Odisha officials held in rural job scheme fraudAugust 10th, 2012 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 10 (IANS) Four senior government officials in Odisha’s Nuapada district have been arrested for embezzling funds sanctioned under the central government’s flagship rural jobs scheme, an official said Friday.
The arrests came after district collector Guha Poonam Tapas Kumar asked police to conduct an independent probe on the complaints she received from local villagers in her grievance cell Thursday.
“During investigations it was found that the officials had forged documents and siphoned off government money, the collector told IANS. “Evidence suggests they have carried out criminal misappropriation” she said.
Those arrested from the district headquarters town of Nuapada, about 550 km from here are block development officer S.C. Singh, assistant block development officer P.K. Bhoi, assistant engineer S.P. Behera and junior engineer P.P. Dhengra.
The officials have been accused of not constructing two roads in Komna area of the district and siphoning off lakhs of rupees by producing forged documents, a senior district police officer said.
The funds were sanctioned under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNREGS) that guarantees 100 days of employment in a financial year to an adult in a poor rural household.
Wages meant to have been deposited in bank accounts of workers were deposited in an account held by the junior engineer. Records showed regular wages being paid to workers who had died months ago, the police officer added. Irregularities in other schemes were also found to have been carried out by the same officials.
- Rural job scheme bungling: Over 2,000 officials booked - May 23, 2011
- CBI begins probe in Orissa rural jobs scheme fraud - May 24, 2011
- All rural development schemes to be audited: Ramesh - Dec 13, 2011
- Ramesh seeks PM's help to boost roads in Maoist-hit areas - Sep 14, 2011
- Over 20,000 ponds dug in Bengal in last one year - Jun 27, 2012
- Four labourers buried under mound of earth in Haryana - May 17, 2012
- TCS gets Rs.103 crore Bengal contract - Sep 07, 2012
- Special MGNREGS courts planned: Ramesh - Nov 09, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh mobile banking model to be expanded - Feb 10, 2011
- 69 percent households gain from rural job scheme - Apr 17, 2011
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Nitish Kumar's home district gets development award - Jan 29, 2012
- KBC winner Sushil Kumar turns down 'Big Boss' offer - Nov 24, 2011
- RTI activist attacked in Rajasthan - Feb 09, 2012
- Abducted Malkangiri Collector implemented many schemes for villagers' benefits - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: assistant engineer, bank accounts, behera, central government, district headquarters, district police, government money, government officials, grievance, guarantee scheme, guha, independent probe, irregularities, junior engineer, lakhs, mahatma gandhi, misappropriation, poonam, rupees, two roads