Four more arrested for Orissa Hindu leader’s killingDecember 14th, 2008 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 14 (IANS) Four more people were arrested Sunday for their alleged involvement in the killing a Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader in Orissa Aug 23 that led to communal violence in the state, the police said.With this, the total number of arrests in the case has gone up to seven. Three persons were arrested earlier in the first week of October.
“Four persons were arrested today (Sunday),” state Inspector General of Police (Crime Branch) Arun Kumar Ray told IANS.
“Some more persons were also detained for questioning,” he said without divulging any details.
The state government was under pressure during the past weeks after Hindu groups threatened to observe state-wide shutdown on Christmas (Dec 25) if all those involved in the crime were not arrested.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread communal violence after the murder of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati of the VHP and four of his aides at his ashram at Jaleshpata Aug 23.
While the police blamed Maoists for the killings, some Hindu organisations held Christians responsible for the crime and launched attacks on the community.
Thousands of Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs. At least 38 people were killed in the violence.
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Orissa says it will not permit VHP shutdown Dec 25 - Dec 16, 2008
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010